» Nothing visible
Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:27 am by Thefunny711

» [Fixed] Weapons no longer drop
Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:28 pm by Michaelis

» [Closed] v1.01.5 Not starting
Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:24 pm by Michaelis

» Read me. Unfixable bugs.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:40 pm by Major Cooke

» [Can't fix] Weapon Upgrade Menu does not freeze reloading.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:29 pm by Major Cooke

» Is it playable for d-touch
Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 pm by Michaelis

» [Fixed] a Bug and some of my thoughts
Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:20 am by DBThanatos

» About using stuff from the MOD
Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:14 am by Minuk

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 65 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:47 am

Share | 

Somehow, I think that Aeod is easier than the original Doom...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DarkBlade
Explosiv Barrel
Explosiv Barrel

PostSubject: Somehow, I think that Aeod is easier than the original Doom...   Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:29 pm

Of all things considered, I thought that Aeod would be harder than the unmodded game itself. The reasons are many. The wide variety of monsters leaves no shortage of attacks that are difficult to deal with, with at least half of them being homing projectiles. Some of them hit like an ICBM, enough to gib a player on full health. & you've got an equally varied amount of boss monsters from different games that are sometimes more to it than just shooting at them a ton & dodging their attacks flawlessly.

Despite all of this, I'll be surprised to say that Aeod is easier than the unmodded Doom. It might be that the monster variety can also be the biggest exploit in this game, making it all too easy to get everyone to fight each other while you sit back & watch the ensuing chaos unflod with a box of popcorn in hand. THe variety of weapons could also be the reason, as I don't think that the unmodded Doom really has an effective way of clearing out huge crowds of monsters. It might also be that you can actually carry items, like in other games such as Quake 2, that can be used in any given situation.

Anyhow, tell me what you think about this opinion of mine.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Somehow, I think that Aeod is easier than the original Doom...   Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Well, the thing is we strived to ensure it was of doom difficulty as much as possible. That's the problem with most randomizer mods, they tend to make it harder than unmodded doom. Not to mention, have you tried playing some of the slaughter maps? Because I can guarantee you, those are harder than the normal doom versions. On smaller maps, yeah they can be a bit easier, depending on what monsters you get. Who knows, you could have gotten lucky with the monster selections so the resistance you encountered was much more subtle. It may not be like that again though...

This is also why we threw in the Monster Madness skill. More monsters for you, and they spawn everywhere.

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
"In Offline Gaming We Trust" - DBT & MC
"That truck is fucked." - FPS Russia
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
DarkBlade
Explosiv Barrel
Explosiv Barrel

PostSubject: Re: Somehow, I think that Aeod is easier than the original Doom...   Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Slaughter maps...?

This is the first time I've ever heard of this, so might you be so kind as to enlighten me on what that is? & no using your Staff of Enlightenment.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about what kind of heat a monster is packing rather than its damage resistances.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Kosta
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

PostSubject: Re: Somehow, I think that Aeod is easier than the original Doom...   Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 am

DarkBlade wrote:
Slaughter maps...?

This is the first time I've ever heard of this, so might you be so kind as to enlighten me on what that is? & no using your Staff of Enlightenment.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about what kind of heat a monster is packing rather than its damage resistances.

1 - In the latest version, the Enlightenment staff is gone

2 - Slaughter maps are maps with hundreds of enemies, a la Hell Revealed or Speed of Doom. And they ARE difficult with AEoD

3 - Almost any monster stronger than a Hell Knight class packs some serious heat. And Boss monsters (Cyberdemon & Spider Mastermind class monsters) will kill you in seconds at the slightlest mistake.

4 - If you still think AEoD is easy try, as Major Cooke has said, playing in Monster Mayhem (monsters appear EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME) or in Nightmare (monsters have more health and deal more damage). I assure you you will struggle to complete good ol' Doom II in those.
Back to top Go down
Findus
UAC Space Marine
UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: Somehow, I think that Aeod is easier than the original Doom...   Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:11 am

Its random. Sometimes its very easy and sometimes that archvile which was so easy last time now is a phoenix in a tight spot, if you havent met it before it might take few triest before you figure the monster out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/Findulidas?feature=mhee
DarkBlade
Explosiv Barrel
Explosiv Barrel

PostSubject: Re: Somehow, I think that Aeod is easier than the original Doom...   Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:34 am

Mr.Kosta wrote:
DarkBlade wrote:
Slaughter maps...?

1 - In the latest version, the Enlightenment staff is gone

2 - Slaughter maps are maps with hundreds of enemies, a la Hell Revealed or Speed of Doom. And they ARE difficult with AEoD

3 - Almost any monster stronger than a Hell Knight class packs some serious heat. And Boss monsters (Cyberdemon & Spider Mastermind class monsters) will kill you in seconds at the slightlest mistake.

4 - If you still think AEoD is easy try, as Major Cooke has said, playing in Monster Mayhem (monsters appear EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME) or in Nightmare (monsters have more health and deal more damage). I assure you you will struggle to complete good ol' Doom II in those.

1. Yes, I knew about this from browsing this forum, not that it really matters to me. The game just loves giving me Wraithverges & Proteus Dynamos.

2. I'm actually struggling with a run on Plutonia 2 with the unmodded Doom, so I shudder to think what Aeod will do to that. Still, I'll try these two out, provided that my little laptop can handle those...

3. If I were oblivious to that by now, I wouldn't have mentioned that at least half of them hit like an ICBM in my first post.

4. If I do go through an entire game without dying several times, I might consider doing that.

& Findus, I thought the Phoenix replaced the Pain Elemental.
Back to top Go down
Findus
UAC Space Marine
UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: Somehow, I think that Aeod is easier than the original Doom...   Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:56 pm

DarkBlade wrote:

& Findus, I thought the Phoenix replaced the Pain Elemental.

You could be right, I see them so rarely. Sure is as though as an archvile though.

Lets say a moloch instead then.
Back to top Go down
Colossus
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Somehow, I think that Aeod is easier than the original Doom...   Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:28 am

Ugh, A Moloch... It's like he's holding a sign saying "DON'T STAND STILL!"

Also, regular Doom maps are indeed easy even with AEoD, like Ultimate Doom & II, Requiem, Icarus and so on but as mentioned Slaughter maps and levels meant to be hard on regular Doom la Plutonia are hard, if not loadsa harder on AEoD.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Somehow, I think that Aeod is easier than the original Doom...   Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:42 am

Phoenix is a rare pain elemental indeed, not an archvile.

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
Findus
UAC Space Marine
UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: Somehow, I think that Aeod is easier than the original Doom...   Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:59 am

Colossus wrote:
Ugh, A Moloch... It's like he's holding a sign saying "DON'T STAND STILL!"

Its def one of the monsters I fear fighting in a confined space.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Somehow, I think that Aeod is easier than the original Doom...   Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:53 pm

If you happen to be lucky enough to find one, the bone duster will be the very bane of the moloch. Each and every shot forcibly interrupts any enemy damaged by the shots, except for the flames. Those are silent adds that cause no pain whatsoever and are great for wearing down the enemies like the lich king. The alt fire is great for upfront getaways provided you have a fully reloaded chamber, and aim at their lower halves. Lets you fly up and backwards, giving you some leverage against those seeking missiles.

For the moloch himself, snipe him from a distance with the bone duster each time he starts to attack. That or let him wipe out a bunch of smaller enemies. Yes, it is perfectly easy to snipe with the boneduster! It just doesn't do that great of damage unless it's up close. Still pretty damn accurate. Razz Remember, the bone duster penetrates through everything except invulnerable monsters, so try to keep invulnerables behind him.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Somehow, I think that Aeod is easier than the original Doom...   Today at 12:19 pm

Back to top Go down

Somehow, I think that Aeod is easier than the original Doom...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1