» Nothing visible
Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:27 am by Thefunny711

» [Fixed] Weapons no longer drop
Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:28 pm by Michaelis

» [Closed] v1.01.5 Not starting
Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:24 pm by Michaelis

» Read me. Unfixable bugs.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:40 pm by Major Cooke

» [Can't fix] Weapon Upgrade Menu does not freeze reloading.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:29 pm by Major Cooke

» Is it playable for d-touch
Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 pm by Michaelis

» [Fixed] a Bug and some of my thoughts
Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:20 am by DBThanatos

» About using stuff from the MOD
Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:14 am by Minuk

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 65 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:47 am

Share | 

The future of AEoD

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: The future of AEoD   Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:18 pm

Hello guys.

I've been quite inactive as of late (or should I say "all 2012"?), at least AEoD wise. The reason? Because as always, when I/we finish a version of this mammoth, I want to take a break and relax doing something else.

So I did. I made this other little mod, and a couple things here and there. That's how I started to find fun on doing small projects.

Then I decided to look back at AEoD, and I found this huge thing that, as fun as it is, I just dont find enough motivation to work with. Not because I dont like the project. I just dont like it's scale anymore.

I think that in the big picture, and in the mod's current shape, AEoD has gotten as far as it could. Cooke and I were thinking about making a "DLC" (a mock term, referring to a subversion) which would be v6.66 (lol). The idea is good and all, but the more I think about it, the less attractive I find it. What's to it? Add a couple more games to this, and a few more weapons and call it a day. That's all AEoD's been doing for a long time.

You see, the problem I realized I have with the mod, is that despite how much I've been trying to change things, and bringing innovations to this, at the end of the day there's one thing that has been going on since day one: AEoD is dragging stuff from the past.

What I mean with that, is that it still has a ton of unused sounds, unimaginative weapons, simplistic monsters and whatnot. By it's very nature, it drags stuff from the old days to this times.

So, overall, I dont feel I can/want to do anything with this AEoD that has been created. What I'd like to do, and what Im probably end up doing when the time comes, is basically rebuild a new AEoD from the ground up. A similar one, but not the same. A lot of things will be removed, because I just dont feel them fitting anymore. Im probably going to start doing weapons per game in the most perfectionist way I can (not a 1:1 replica of the original weapon from a game, but instead, the nicest thing I can do with (new rips of) graphics, effects, code, behavior and stuff). Now, imagine doing that for the games we already have in AEoD. As you can tell, it will take forever.

That's one thing each new version of the mod doesnt do: Work with stuff individually. Due to the gigantic size of the thing, when I go "I have to give all the weapons new effects" Im thinking about the over 100 weapons there. Same case with the monsters. Instead, if I rebuild thing by thing, as if I was to make a little unique mod with each one of the games, my perfectionism goes to another level. See my "doomstorm" mod. As far as I was concerned, the bulletstorm weapons in AEoD were the best they could be. And now that I compare both, I see an abyss of difference. That's what I want to do, and I might indeed do that: Build quite a few mods out of AEoD, and port them back. When i do a little mod, it guarantees the best quality I can give at that moment; because I focus.

In the meantime, what I will do, is get rid of all the fixable bugs around, and then release a patch. The final patch for AEoD 6.x.

From there, it will all be a new start. Even the final product will take a few years to be finished.

I think the current AEoD has enough to keep people entertained, and with tiny releases that will be eventually merged into a new AEoD, Im sure I have enough stuff to keep me bussy modding for a while.

Please post any comments, or suggestions you might have regarding this. As always Im open to opinions, as long as they're just that: opinions instead of demands Wink

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: The future of AEoD   Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:11 pm

Sign me up! I've been loyal from the start, and I will do so again!

I promise you this much, mate, I'm not departing AEoD until one of us dies. This is the one and only mod that's gotten me into modding and what I based my greatest successes on in Zdoom, it will continue to be so.

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
"In Offline Gaming We Trust" - DBT & MC
"That truck is fucked." - FPS Russia
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
Findus
UAC Space Marine
UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: The future of AEoD   Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:20 am

Cant tell if Im unhappy or happy about the decision. Just have to wait and see the results I guess. Aeod is pretty good as it as since there always seems to be something more to find.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/Findulidas?feature=mhee
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: The future of AEoD   Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:31 am

Seconding the "sign me up".
Always here to beta-test. (Not just "here", in fact--greatly willing to participate.)
Back to top Go down
Colossus
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: The future of AEoD   Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:50 am

AEoD made Doom the game Ive wanted it to be and there's still so much to discover, though the randomizer always seems to be against me. Im happy with the current build and will probably have fun with it for years to come.

That said, Ill be here if anyone needs me, observing from the distance, ready to pop in unannouced if need be. Razz
Back to top Go down
Ribo Zurai
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: The future of AEoD   Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:42 pm

Aeons of Death was one of the first mods I've ever played, even considering I heard about if when it was already in the version 4.21, around three years ago. After I knew of it, I passed to only play any level wad using that mod, and I still do this nowadays. So yeah, would be a honor for me to beta test the future of the mod, so yep, sign me up. Smile
Back to top Go down
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: The future of AEoD   Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:47 pm

By the way,
Ribo Zurai wrote:
After I knew of it, I passed to only play any level wad using that mod, and I still do this nowadays.
Exactly same here.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: The future of AEoD   Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:17 pm

I use nothing BUT AEoD for any doom level as well. Very Happy

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
"In Offline Gaming We Trust" - DBT & MC
"That truck is fucked." - FPS Russia
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
Colossus
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: The future of AEoD   Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:38 am

Me too, I just cant see myself playing it vanilla anymore. I originally decided that I'd play every new wad I pick up first in vanilla, then AEoD, but went off from that straight away.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Kosta
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

PostSubject: Re: The future of AEoD   Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:44 am

If I understand correctly, the next AEoD version will be built from scratch instead of being based off v6, right? Sounds promising. If you need a tester, count on me mate.
Back to top Go down
Ribo Zurai
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: The future of AEoD   Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:31 am

But I really wonder how a new Aeons of Death can be made, I mean, the version 6 already had a LOT of stuff, how to have new ideas at this point to make a new new right from the scratch?

Anyways, I think a good idea would be putting more stuff from Bulletstorm into it, not just weapons, but enemies. Including the protagonist of the game as one of the bosses.
Back to top Go down
Colossus
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: The future of AEoD   Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:44 am

An addition that popped into my mind was The Haunted: Hells Reach. If any of you have played it, it's a very simple coop arena shooter, killing demons in four waves and then heading to Hell for a boss round.

While most of the weapons in that game are in one form or another already in AEoD, I'd like to see the enemies of it AEoD, even if they're very simple and not too hard to kill. Maybe make them enter their respective Rage modes if their health drops below 50% or something.

Oh, and the Teutonic Mace... now THAT is a melee weapon. Would love to see it in AeoD. Insta-gib on demons below the Demon and tremendous damage to everything up to Arch-Vile.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/43190/ Here's the link for the Steam Store page for more info.
Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: The future of AEoD   Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:58 am

Thanks a lot for the support guys.

I dont know yet when will this start, but is nice to see people interested.

First thing is to start gathering resources. Basically I'll start dissecting AEoD "game by game" and making the standalone minimods out of it, in that way I can polish stuff individually as much as I can.

@colossus: I'd love to do such thing, but I dont have the game, nor I have tools to rip stuff. Weapons are easy, but ripping monsters without a model viewer, is pretty much impossible.

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Colossus
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: The future of AEoD   Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:34 am

Sad Ah well, a man can dream.
Back to top Go down
Garrus
Spectre
Spectre