Share | 

Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:40 pm

I figured I'd start this thread so we could engage in some interesting conversation about what it's been like developing AEoD, playing through it and letting others ask us questions of their likes, dislikes, and what have you.

Just so you are aware, AEoD is NOT dead! It's still fully alive and kicking! We just can't disclose details really.

Working on AEoD has been one hell of a treat. I've been on this for... how many years now? Five? Quite a lot, and I've never stopped working on it either. Occasionally I did take my breaks but I never stopped once.

Back in v5, it was DBT, Reilsss, Ichor and I after I showcased my love and affinity thanks to Bouncy helping me create El Oscuro exactly as I had intended. Good times, good times.

Man, working with v5 was a pain though. All those patches back and forth. Ironically, it was because of the confusing patches in which DBThanatos's hilarious i-post-an-update quote comes from. v5's significant release contained the weapon toggle limits and massive skin overhaul for the weapons, which means easier switching. Lots of new effects too, introduced a revolution of them.

v6 was far less stressful, but we lost Ichor and Reilsss. They've pretty much disappeared off the grid. I know Reilsss gave up on AEoD due to personal matters and work, while Ichor... Poofed. Just upped and vanished. Rarely you can see him logging in here but he does nothing anymore. A shame. Sad

Anyway, v6 contained the revolutionary monster selection types along with the new directors. Those directors are complete bitches, let me tell you. OH, the HEADACHE. Even to this day, tweak after tweak after tweak to make them fucking WORK right has never gone without some challenge. Oh well, it's at least worth it. Inspired by L4D1+2's director from playing with DBThanatos so much. That, and Nation Red.

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
"In Offline Gaming We Trust" - DBT & MC
"That truck is fucked." - FPS Russia
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:20 am

Question: How long did it take to fully code el oscuro? I know quite a lot of effort was put into that single guy

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:22 am

Question 2 @Michaelis : how did it feel to find out you're a developer now?

You didnt know? Oh, oooops! I guess that's me announcing you as a dev

"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:53 am

Answer:
It's like... WOW!
And it reminded me of the old days.
I first downloaded AEoD of version 3.01. It was, like, five freaking years ago? I wasn't even in the uni yet, and now I have a bachelor's degree. I had a dial-up modem (like 38 kbit/s) at home so I had to go somewhere to download this behemoth of 60 MB, and that's compressed!
The midis it had really meant a lot. It was the music that I've been looking for and didn't hear in my (then short) life. It was a pain to find the sources though. For the Dream Theater tracks, song titles were embedded as first MIDI channel names. For others... I downloaded DBT's music pack with what, 99 midis? At least they were all named appropriately. And I listened through them, identifying tracks as belonging to the original AEoD package, one by one. And listened to them.
Between the Buried and Me kicks ass these days, and Decapitated's latest album was kinda OK.

Then I came to this forum, soon after v5 was released. I saw some of the bugs it had and wanted to see them fixed, but not just that. I wanted AEoD to have no bugs. Sounds perfectionist, even though I'm not really one. So I applied to be a beta tester.

Now I'm a developer, what does it mean? It means that my name is now in orange letters, and it's fun sunny

What do people usually say when they're promoted?
"Thank you for your trust in me!"
"I know it is a significant commitment, but I am prepared to contribute to build upon the successes of the past and to fulfill the mission to support, promote and protect your interests and the wider community. "
Even though I'm quoting somebody, that's truly my words now. That's exactly how did it feel to find out I'm a developer now.

Last edited by Michaelis on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:02 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Yeah, I edited it to include the youtube reference :P)
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:48 pm

DBThanatos wrote:
Question: How long did it take to fully code el oscuro? I know quite a lot of effort was put into that single guy

He was my very first decorate monster, but he didn't take that long. I'd say, maybe a week or so? For the first iteration that is.

Now it's my turn.

How long did it take you to make the old DBT monster from V4?

Michaelis wrote:
Blah blah blarghywarhggraaaarghbbblhlrllrbrrgrgrlrhlhlrgr!!!

My usual welcome message:

clown

Spoiler:

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
ShadowTiger
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Good show, mate. Do AEoD proud and such. Now you can find and squash them bugs as they appear.

I'll bet creating DeathBringerThanatos in AEoD was a blast. Probably as fun as it is to fight him. For like an hour.
Back to top Go down
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:10 am

Question: Now we know something about how Major Cooke and Michaelis became developers, but what about Reilsss and Ichor?
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:20 pm

Don't expect them to answer this question. Maybe DBThanatos can answer it for them, but they are no longer around. When I joined, it was after them.

Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:53 am

ShadowTiger wrote:
I'll bet creating DeathBringerThanatos in AEoD was a blast. Probably as fun as it is to fight him. For like an hour.

It was fun, but frustrating at times, because I had always such high expectations for it, that I didnt know what to do with it (that's why he doesnt have a "death" attack in the last released version of aeod)

@Michaelis: A bit about Reilsss and Ichor as developers.

Back in the day, when AEoD was a one man project, I coded all I could and it worked nicely, but then Ichor ripped and coded the blood shotgun, and posted it in the zdoom forums on the AEoD thread. Back then, there was this guy with a similar project to AEoD who actually "took" (coughstolecough!) the shotguns Ichor posted for AEoD and used them in his project before my own patch/version was released (I have always loved to release stable things with new features, not do one change and release it right away). So I told Ichor to send me that kind of stuff via PM. He ripped and coded the redneck rampage and powerslave monsters and sent them my way. He became an AEoD "contributor"

Reilsss approached to me one day telling me he had done a re-skin of the weapons in aeod, since he never liked the magical stuff, so he changed the graphics of the magic weapons to tech stuff. He asked me if he could release that thing as a separate "addon" for AEoD. I saw no issue with it so I allowed him. What that proved to me, was that Reilsss sure had a lot of dedication and understood decorate quite nicely (back in the day, DECORATE wasnt as prolific as it is now).

Details are a bit blurry, but I think Reilsss, Ichor and I were working on a new version of AEoD over PMs at zdoom.org. Soon that became impractical due to the sheer amount of messages we were sending, so Reilsss suggested having our own forum. He created this forum you see right now. The forum also helped to put a label on each one's position (developers) but it was clear much earlier that they were actively developing AEoD with me.

Yeah, I think that's how it went Razz

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
FistMarine
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:10 am

An interesting discussion I must say. Razz I have already mentioned few posts ago but I will mention again that I started playing AEOD v3 for first time at end of 2007 and since then, it has been my favorite mod for Doom. I actually found about AEOD few months earlier (in mid 2007) by watching some random YouTube videos and found it interesting and wanted to play it but I was still new to playing mods as it was around time I discovered about mods and stuff like that, all of which I remember happening in mid 2007. Sometime later, I find out that a CRAWL patch has been released. It was pretty cool but I still preferred v3 more.

In August 2008, I remember AEOD v4 was released and then I had a blast with it. Though I found it sometimes frustrating as the monsters did a ton of damage and killed me often but maybe that was because I was younger and wasn't as good as nowadays or the fact that v4 had increased damage on certain skill levels. But I must admit, I absolutely loved the intro excepting the fact that after a couple of minutes, it keeps showing the damn TITLEPIC image fading in and out and doesn't let me see all those marines fighting with monsters. Laughing

In 2009-2010, I remember that AEOD v5 got an overhaul. I liked most of the new additions such as all those new weapons, monsters, items, classes, etc. I really miss those classes, there were some of them that should have stayed (only one gender for each group) but I understand the reason why they were taken out.

In late 2011/early 2012, I found out about AEOD v6. To be honest, I still liked v5 much more at that time but then I got familiarized with it and started to like it. It has a theme selection but I preferred Classic and Joke because they contain most stuff.

That's all I remember. Oh and congratulations Michaelis for becoming a developer! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ichor
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Waaay back in the beginning, I was looking around the forum search one day (I forgot what I was searching for), and I came across a post showing a picture of my old D'Sparil staff weapon. I took a look at that thread and it was the AEoD thread. Now, back then I knew nothing about Decorate and I was still using JDoom (JHexen). I saw ZDoom and what it could do, so I started on a few tiny experiments. First was the serpent staff for AEoD. I seemed to remember that it wasn't draining health properly for whatever reason, and I eventually devised a workaround. Then came the Blood shotguns. I didn't know about that whole "stolen" thing, but as I got better, I made more and better things: life leech, voodoo doll, chicken launcher, etc. Eventually, after weeks of trial and error...mostly error, I made a huge breakthrough: the ice shield. With that code, I was able to make all sorts of fun things, like the thunderstorm rune, force cube, and even those dice. All this time I considered AEoD to be one big experiment where I could make all sorts of things, sometimes serious, sometimes wacky, and continue to get better at Decorate. My favorite weapon is always going to be the Jackbomb.

As for why I left, there were a couple of reasons:

1. Version 5 was about to be released and I wanted to turn my attention to other things, like Hexen or even play other games. I was beginning to get weary of the whole thing (nothing to do with anyone here. I just wanted to move on). When version 5 was released, that huge weight was lifted. Still, it was fun working on all those weapons and monsters, making all kinds of improvements and bug fixes, adding new bugs, fixing those bugs, adding more bugs and fixing those, etc.

2. The Eriance monsters (Avatar, Hellion, etc.) being removed. I know those were just basic monsters that didn't do much of anything really different. That's why I changed the bahavior of a lot of them. I have always thought my version of the Hellion was my favorite of all of the monsters, which used an arch-vile type of attack that instead of doing hefty damage, it turned you into a chicken. People learned to fear those things. They weren't hard to kill, but if you ever saw that pink glitter, you got out of there real quick. I was really upset about that monster (and to a lesser extent the Warlock, which was a souped up Avatar). I knew there was no way to convince you otherwise, since you already made that decision, so instead of making a big stink over the whole matter, I decided to take that opportunity to leave (See 1.).

I do check in every now and then to read the posts, and I have played version 6. While it's fun and I do like some of the things in that one, I will always consider 5.29 the best version. One thing I wish I had added before I left was a pink screaming suicide bomber that explodes and turns anything caught in it into chickens, but I didn't think of doing that until well after version 6 was released.
Back to top Go down
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:52 pm

This would make a cool rare joke lost soul actually. Smile
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:57 pm

Ichor wrote:
One thing I wish I had added before I left was a pink screaming suicide bomber that explodes and turns anything caught in it into chickens, but I didn't think of doing that until well after version 6 was released.

Your wish is my command. Twisted Evil

Speaking of the Jack Bomb...

Was bored. Rainbow Nukes. 'Cause lol!

Also, Ichor, there's plenty of other monster sprites out there you could use to replace the Hellion's sprites, and still keep it in.

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:26 am

Now, on a more serious note, some of you will see that I have been quite active in developing ZDoom itself, while leaving no hints about AEoD's future lying around. Remember, just because I say one thing, doesn't mean it will or will not happen.

So, why have I been developing these things for ZDoom itself? Because I want to create bigger contraptions, and reduce hacks. That's right, AEoD is riddled with hacks. Well, that's slowly coming to an end as I develop more and more functionality within ZDoom itself to end this crap once and for all. I seriously cannot stand having to work so hackishly and I would /wrists if I ever had to go back to some ancient version of ZDoom without all it's new splendor now.

But, that IS a sign... My development of ZDoom itself is not only for ZDoom's sake, but for AEoD's as well. So, because of these commits to ZDoom, I can safely say to you all, here and now, AEoD is still being worked on as we speak. I am proud of this baby, and even if most of the developers seem done and gone, I've been hooked on this thing for God knows how long. And I won't stop until it becomes virtually impossible to add more to AEoD. Only then will I move onto greater things with ZDoom, if even ZDoom related at all.

Speaking of development, did you know I have almost never exited "developer mode" to play the game entirely legit? It's because I can't stop thinking about how I can improve the mod. I always want to make it fresh, make it better. It's why I have such a damn passion for this mod, and why I think some great things can be done here. One thing that irked me when I joined AEoD was, there was no story. No foretelling. I like a little bit of story to my mods.

Everything I make has a story. Everything added, changed, or removed, has a tale. With each passing day, I put a tiny bit more of my soul into it, a passion.

This is my devotion, my pride and joy. Sure, I joined at a time where AEoD was slandered, but I'm determined to beat it the hell back. I'm determined to eventually give it a reason to be loved, if not tolerated (Shut up, reference).

Ironically, I used AEoD as a showcase for several interviews recently. It worked out pretty well in the end. Razz

Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:50 am

Ichor wrote:

2. The Eriance monsters (Avatar, Hellion, etc.) being removed. I know those were just basic monsters that didn't do much of anything really different. That's why I changed the bahavior of a lot of them. I have always thought my version of the Hellion was my favorite of all of the monsters, which used an arch-vile type of attack that instead of doing hefty damage, it turned you into a chicken. People learned to fear those things. They weren't hard to kill, but if you ever saw that pink glitter, you got out of there real quick. I was really upset about that monster (and to a lesser extent the Warlock, which was a souped up Avatar). I knew there was no way to convince you otherwise, since you already made that decision, so instead of making a big stink over the whole matter, I decided to take that opportunity to leave (See 1.).

While I understand that point, as Cooke mentioned, sprites we have always had a ton. It was not the behavior what I wanted to get rid of. The amount of crap I had to keep seeing about aeod being just a ripfest (well, it is, but in a very different style now) just drove me nuts, and that's why we decided to remove all those graphics and mostly uninteresting monsters. I loved the sprites, I have to admit, but at the end of the day, all the 667 "beastiary" monsters had to go, because back then it seemed that everyone and their dog were making randomizers, and everyone was using all the monsters from the beastiary. That was the common denominator between all the randomizers. I wanted and needed AEoD to take a higher road. And to this day, I dont regret it.

But I have to say, it's good to hear why you left. I had no idea about that point 2. I did imagine though about the point 1.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Ichor
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:50 am

Major Cooke wrote:
Also, Ichor, there's plenty of other monster sprites out there you could use to replace the Hellion's sprites, and still keep it in.

That's alright. I decided to use that Hellion somewhere else. Also, I do have one other request (not about AEoD, though it could be used there). Right now, if a monster was resurrected, it would need enough room to do so. Otherwise, it doesn't do anything. There may be times when you want something revived even if something is standing on it, like a nonsolid child monster of a boss which might break if that child monster wasn't revived, or you may want to have a corpse do something as it gets revived, like give health to the reviving monster, or even just revive as ghosts that attack other monsters.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:07 am

Really? Huh. Figured, Thing_Raise revives it regardless of space, or A_RaiseMaster/Children/Siblings... I'll take a look into it.

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:11 am

Another thing you could do, is perform an A_RadiusGive. Have it give the dead actor an inventory item which causes it to warp a really long ways away. Then have the inventory item spawn a child which calls A_RaiseMaster(1) (provided you have the latest (G)Zdoom for the changes I made) and have it warp back to it's original position where it died. A temporary work-around while I look into raising inside other monsters.

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:36 am

I think it's time to start a little bit of a nagfest when it comes to zdoom coding in the source itself.

It's like sticking your hand into a jar of nails that are clean, yet still messy and aiming all around. Hard to tell which shit does which when it's so much more obvious to others. Seriously, I didn't know how to work with most of this stuff for a while and it was annoying as fuck.

Because there is no real sign of DoomScript coming, like Mordeth, I've found myself picking up the pieces where Graf and Randy have pretty much left off and worked upon adding more features. Don't get me wrong, it's nice being able to submit code like this to the forums and creating new and wonderful inventions. Shit, I wish I could help with wall portals. That'd be fucking awesome.

Back to top Go down
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:21 am

Well, seems that Doomscript has shown more signs of life since that last post.

Major Cooke wrote:
Ironically, I used AEoD as a showcase for several interviews recently. It worked out pretty well in the end. Razz
I'd love to hear the details, actually!

And by the way, I have a rather off-topic question.

Question: What's the weather like today?
For me, it's -4 Celsius. It feels warm, because, for example, yesterday it was about -15. Which didn't feel very cold, because a week ago we had -25.
(Of course, this subjective evaluation comes entirely from past personal experience and living in the same place for many years; and it's entirely subjective.)
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:06 am

19 degrees Fahrenheit currently.

While the U.S. still has its thumb up its ass and refuses to switch to meters and Celsius, the rest of the world is already on it.

Back to top Go down
q2k2k
Explosiv Barrel
Explosiv Barrel

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:39 am

Can anyone explain to me what "Set" is? and what it can do?

Was struggling in one of the megawads I am currently playing (Defiler) and kept on getting owned by it even when im hiding in a corner. I would like to see how he looks like. (literally, the only thing that saved me was a spare time rune lol)
Back to top Go down
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:40 am

Set is a cyberdemon-class monster from Powerslave/Exhumed. I haven't played that game so I can't say what it does there, but in AEoD, it launches skull missiles, emits a torrent of electric sparks and jumps around, landing with shockwaves.
There is also a smaller version, mancubus-class. It jumps too, but shockwaves travel much less.

Back to top Go down
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:58 am

Question: Tell about your avatars, guys. How did they come along? What is the hidden meaning behind them? What is depicted on them? Don't mind if I make a similar encircled avatar for myself, do you?
Back to top Go down
FistMarine
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:26 am

My avatar is a GIF picture of Fist Marine (a skin pack of Marine Skins created years ago by Mark Quinn)
https://web.archive.org/web/20100830122834/http://members.fortunecity.com/doomskin/skinpacks.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk   

Back to top Go down

Q&A for AEoD Devs - Bring your Qs and As here! + Dev Talk
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next