» Nothing visible
Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:27 am by Thefunny711

» [Fixed] Weapons no longer drop
Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:28 pm by Michaelis

» [Closed] v1.01.5 Not starting
Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:24 pm by Michaelis

» Read me. Unfixable bugs.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:40 pm by Major Cooke

» [Can't fix] Weapon Upgrade Menu does not freeze reloading.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:29 pm by Major Cooke

» Is it playable for d-touch
Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 pm by Michaelis

» [Fixed] a Bug and some of my thoughts
Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:20 am by DBThanatos

» About using stuff from the MOD
Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:14 am by Minuk

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 65 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:47 am

Share | 

Suggestions for next Talkthrough

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:59 pm

Okay! It's crunch time again, and we have to start a new journey with a new mapset!

I know some of you have already posted suggestions, but for the sake of having everthing in the same place, Im asking you to re post the suggestions here.

What I'll need is:
-Mapset name
-How many maps?
-Small, medium, big maps?
-Difficulty? (doom = normal, Hard = Hell revealed 2 UV, Nightmare = Sunder)

And any other relevant information you might have to add. Based on the suggestions, I'll decide, and if I cant make up my mind, I'll make a short poll. Im mostly looking for not super long mapsets, because you've seen already how long it takes!

The theme I will be using is Regular AEoD, all random, but no joke mode because FUCK BERTHAS.

Bring them on! Very Happy

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:50 am

First, your message box needs attention. Then I'll reveal my entire suggestion.

To give a little strip tease... Winter's Fury: AEoDified by me. Created by Pyroscourge.

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
"In Offline Gaming We Trust" - DBT & MC
"That truck is fucked." - FPS Russia
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
FistMarine
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:03 am

I have some suggestions, mainly recently released wads:

1) Mapset name: Community Chest (any of them)
How many maps: 32
Map size: Varies
Difficulty: Varies

2) Mapset name: Hellcore 2.0
How many maps: 12
Map size: Medium
Difficulty: First few maps (normal-hard), last couple of maps (fucking hard, nightmare)

3) Mapset name: Whispers of Satan
How many maps: 35 (3 bonus levels. when you reach map 30, make a separate save and when you finish map 30, load that save, then type changemap map33)
Difficulty: Normal

4) Mapset name: Epic 2
Difficulty: Normal-Hard

5) Mapset name: Heroes' Tales
How many maps: 33
Map size: Medium-Big
Difficulty: Normal-Hard

6) Mapset name: Interception
Difficulty: Normal

7) Mapset name: Hellbound
Difficulty: Hard

Cool Mapset name: Going Down
Map size: Small

9) Mapset name: Survive in Hell

10) Mapset name: Zones of Fear
Back to top Go down
ShadowTiger
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:26 am

Quote :
2) Mapset name: Hellcore 2.0
How many maps: 12
Difficulty: First few maps (normal-hard), last couple of maps (fucking hard, nightmare)
This. So much, this. This is that one WAD that perpetually stays on my Hard Drive no matter what. Each map looks quite unique, and it seems to almost tell a story as you go. The music is filled with the most haunting of atmosphere, and the last map, map 12, is just incredible, and I truly wish it had been elongated. It's my favorite map of any WAD due to its inherent nostalgia factor.

There's another WAD that I think was authored by Eternal, but I have to find its name, once I see the maps inside to jog my memory. Ignore this paragraph for now.
Back to top Go down
FistMarine
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:03 am

Thank you! I also want DBT to play through Hellcore 2.0 in the next playthrough but I must mention that maps 9,10 and 11 are really difficult, there isn't much health lying around, enemies are strategically placed and there are some unfair ambushes, etc. When I played Hellcore last time, I died like 50 times in total (I was about to go crazy because of so many deaths) and when I finished it, I said: "Thank God it's over!". There are times when maps are empty and suddenly monsters appear. Or early in game in map 2, you have to fight a Cyberdemon with only a shotgun, for example. Thankfully it happened to be a regular Doom Cyberdemon when I played the wad, so I didn't have trouble fighting him but it sure took 1-2 mins to kill him using the weakest shotgun (SPAS shotgun I think). But last maps have TONS of monsters and there aren't places to hide from monsters' attacks as they spawn in open places. One time I saved game a split-second before I died because I didn't see a monster's homing attack coming from behind (the monster that killed me was a red priest that spawns in place of hell knight and he was behind gates and was hard to hit, really frustrating). Thanks to backup saves, I was able to reload an earlier save at cost of few mins wasted (I think this happened in map 9). So DBT, I hope you are ready when you play this wad. Don't say I didn't warn you! Razz
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:27 am

Winter's fury is a beautiful 14 level set, in a place called Mount Baphomet. You're there to shut out demon sources, but occasionally, you run into the oddball problem of this character called D.A.R.K.Ness appearing out of nowhere to 'monitor' you... What he wants is unknown, aside achieving his own dreams... Find his hidden journals. Explore his story.He died 7 times, and his special ending will reveal to you a powerful secret weapon...

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:12 am

I support three maps:

FistMarine wrote:
Cool Mapset name: Going Down
Map size: Small

QFT, look how your "8)" came through the forum!

Yes, I like that mapset, and yes, maps are small but hard. Creator was right to describe the gameplay as "chaotic evil". Maybe you'll want to use some difficulty other than UV. (I use HMP, and I don't feel ashamed of this.)
All maps are fine, but some are utterly brilliant (like that "Insanity" map26). The storyline even has some humour.

FistMarine wrote:
9) Mapset name: Survive in Hell

Some said this to be "a poor man's Hell Revealed", and while this sounds a bit disparaging, there's some truth in it. I've had great fun with it, but it's not ground-breaking. Quite fun to play anyway.

Also, I'm gonna propose that classic that is so classic that you even referenced it in your opening post:

Name: Hell Revealed 2
Maps: 32 maps
Size: mostly medium-sized maps
Difficulty: by definition it's hard!
(Though I think with AEoD it's not as hard as it was with honest doom2.exe.)
Back to top Go down
FistMarine
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:47 am

Thanks! For "Cool" becoming smiley, I noticed that but I left like that to indicate some sort of hint of what should do DBT next. Razz

About the maps, I know some megawads can be hard on UV and I should play at HMP but to be honest, I like playing at UV only as of lately, no matter how hard maps can be but I can consider toning the difficulty down if the maps are way too hard (say if I am in a hopeless situation with low ammo/health). I haven't tried Going Down with AEOD yet as I plan to play most megawads in summer holiday (after I graduate high school) without any mod and getting 100% kills/items/secrets in pretty much every map possible. I will use AEOD with some unpopular mapsets (like Interception, Survive in Hell, Zones of Fear), as well as some maps that require ZDoom (aside from those that have custom actors) just to freshen things up.Very Happy

About HR2, I actually wanted to mention that as suggestion but considering that AV is similar in terms of difficulty to HR2, I didn't want DBT to go through another "17 months" just to complete another megawad. Plus it was mentioned in first post but I decided to list some megawads that IMO should be played. Razz
Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:43 pm

So far, hellcore seems to be the way to go, with the 12 maps thing. But I'll keep listening. It will be at least a few days, maybe a week before I even begin to record anything.

EDIT: To elaborate, I dont think I have that much patience to play 30+ maps.

"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
FistMarine
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:15 am

Good luck with Hellcore, I really hope you will get lucky with some of the monsters spawns, such as the Cyberdemon in map 2! cheers
Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:27 pm

I havent decided yet. I think I'll search for the suggested mapsets and try them a bit

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
FistMarine
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:30 pm

I know, but I was just saying. How about we vote for the mapset and one that gets highest votes will be played?
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:44 am

Wait a minute! GOING DOWN!

Back to top Go down
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:51 am

Heh, I was waiting for you to cast this vote Smile
It was you who told me that this mapset kicks ass.

I think blazing through Going Down's 32 fast crazy-ass maps might take not much longer than walking around in Hellcore's 12 gorgeous beautiful maps. Difference in number of maps is inverse to their size.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:40 pm

Just note that map29, due to how it's using a dehacked monster, won't end properly. Basically, DBThanatos, on that map after you kill everything, you'll have to perform "changemap map30" when finished.

Back to top Go down
Colossus
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:17 am

What Cooke said. I proably wasted around 30 minutes just running around trying to figure out how to finish the level before resulting to the changemap command.

Out of those suggestions FistMarine gave, I lean towards WoS or Hellbound, though the latter's map29 is quite annoying on more ways than one: slows down the game to crawl.

My own suggestion would be Plutonia 2, think it falls in between Normal and Hard, probably right in the middle of it.
Back to top Go down
FistMarine
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:11 pm

And I thought I was the only one who used changemap command to avoid death exits just to keep the weapons. Sometimes I do that to skip levels that have insane amounts of monsters (1000+ is a big no) but it depends on maps. I probably remember skipping Stomper's MAP29 for having SO MANY monsters as well as an Icon of Sin spawner. Yeah. Plus all the lag, it's just not worth my time.

I still haven't decided what I should vote but I think my suggestions still remain as my votes, though if I were to choose one, I would choose Going Down (as indicated by cool smiley). Though I would also enjoy seeing DBT getting slaughtered at Hellcore 2.0 too as the last 3 maps are damned hard, I'm not kidding. You should probably start using the save game menu instead of quicksaving on a single slot, you will probably get killed in same moment as you save game (yes that happened to me as I noted above right in MAP09 of that wad). I was so pissed...
Back to top Go down
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:25 pm

DBT, now that you have finished Hellcore 2.0, this thread is bumped to remind you about other stuff people recommended.

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:14 am

EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't like the wad as much as I thought I would.

Last edited by Major Cooke on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:24 am

Looks like holy tits of Sunder. Will be the next wad I'll play.

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:30 pm

I'm still going through it as we speak. I love how the director nullifies some difficulty parts, while making simpler maps more challenging. Razz

Back to top Go down
FistMarine
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:07 am

I am actually looking forward to play this megawad! Looks interesting but since it is made by Ribbiks, I can expect that it's going to be chaotic. Not sure if I should play in Eternity Engine (for vanilla feeling, to not break balance of maps) or to play in ZDoom with AEOD to BREAK the balance to make it easier or harder. Razz
Back to top Go down
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:43 am

I'll certainly go for the latter.

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:16 am

Eh, the wad wasn't as good as I had hoped. I was thinking there would be more openness, more air and stuff but it's a bit too tight for my tastes. It's why I tend to like maps such as Hellbound better.

For that matter, I'm going to recommend Hellbound. That's the mapset I've been using recently as a testing ground for AEoD, especially because of the large epic scale maneuverability available.

Granted, it kinda is samey in a way, and much of the architect here and there is taken from Doom 3, but I believe it pays off by really grand designs.

Map 30 spoilers!:

What I like about maps is the ability to tell a story on its own without need for text. It's auspicious enough in its grand design, and able to accommodate for roomy maneuverability to deal with massive waves of monsters.

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:57 am

This just got me to thinking about map sets like Chillax...

I have a special hatred for these maps now because they've lost their meaning of fun recently. Hell, I prefer Holy Hell over them in fact, even if that mapset is older. Here's why I don't recommend them anymore:

• Architect is the same almost everywhere -- bricks, bricks, and more fucking bricks. If not bricks, black metal. OVER and OVER again, with the same doom 'n gloom atmosphere EVERYWHERE. But then again that's the style of phml (whose maps were ripped and plagiarized).
  • Closets out the ass
  • Laggy play
  • Very little diversity
  • Ludicrous difficulty

In short, boring aesthetics. Very boring. And often unfair.

It was fun while it lasted, but now it carries almost no meaning to it, especially if more than half the time, rare cyberdemons are gonna spawn in the first few maps. Sure that means an easier time with the rest of the maps, but that also means everything's gonna be potentially even more frustrating when I'm caught off guard. I hate so many surprises.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for next Talkthrough   Today at 12:22 pm

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for next Talkthrough
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next