Share | 

Journal of a ZDooM Developer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Journal of a ZDooM Developer   Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:16 pm

Sometimes I like to "blog" about what it's like making code for the actual ZDooM engine itself. So you'll hear random ramblings, excitements and rants during my progress here from time to time, commenting on the code and giving a deeper overview of what does what, etc. Also, great place to ask questions about it too, or perhaps give off a few suggestions if you like. Wink

First post is following up this one.

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
"In Offline Gaming We Trust" - DBT & MC
"That truck is fucked." - FPS Russia
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Journal of a ZDooM Developer   Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:23 pm

A_QuakeEx

I've always wanted something more realistic for the quaking effect like Half Life. ZDoom's default quaking just doesn't cut it. Let me tell you, this wasn't very easy to develop, simply because having to go in and figure out how to get the intensities was probably the hardest deal. That, and trying to figure out why the camera kept shaking WAY out of it's original boundaries.

The next thing that was a big limitation, it was using integers to keep the effect from dividing by 0... well, I can't make scaling down effects and scaling up without something that can take decimals.

So A_QuakeEx unlocks some modifiers one can use, and can force it along the x, y, or z axis individually. Z axis was never used before, until now! This could be used for some sort of suctioning effect, or perhaps a super fast elevator downfall to really add the "OH SHIT" factor.

...Not to mention, Randy kept rewriting everything I submitted. Seriously, this makes me crave doomscript even more! And I'm still not done with it.

My next plan is to create QF_SINE to make it quake similarly to how camera shuddering is done like whenever firing the Painkiller Shotgun from Painkiller: Hell and Damnation. Unlike Painkiller regular, it has the smooth shaking effects, like a sine wave, rather than randomly throwing out the camera this way and that. Personally, I feel that combining the two to make a special effect can bring a REALLY ass-kicking effect when used.

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Journal of a ZDooM Developer   Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:15 am

OH... MY... GOD, Becky, look at that code! It is so... BIG!

No seriously, QF_WAVE... My greatest most painful piece of work yet. I'm so proud of it, yet I'm SO FUCKING DONE with working on it. Look at it! https://github.com/rheit/zdoom/pull/282

Just seeing all those commits makes me foam at the mouth.

Rabid Major Cooke wrote:
GRGWGRGRWLWLLRWRLRWLRLRLGGGRRGGGRGWWGLGLWGLLLWLPHH
*TBBBPBHPTHBPHBHBTPBHTBHTHBTPBTBTPBPTPBTPHBTPBTPHTB* <--My brain. Poor bastard flew out the door after giving me the middle finger and donning a top hat with a monocle.

It was like the bane of my existence. Fucking ow.

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Journal of a ZDooM Developer   Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:58 am

...Come on Randi! For the love of God, just make the merging of the main ZDooM branch into the scripting branch easier without conflicts already!

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=48601

Major Cooke wrote:
I'll add another pull request, that can help with thingdef_codeptr, something that won't necessarily have to be merged into the scripting branch since it's just a sync-up. Then I'll sync up the pointer changes to it, if it works out well enough.

Graf Zahl wrote:
I won't try.
For the time being I'll hold off on any submission that's doing such extensive changes to thingdef_codeptr.cpp

...really? Evil or Very Mad
Here I am trying to make things easier and all he says is 'nope'.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Journal of a ZDooM Developer   

Back to top Go down

Journal of a ZDooM Developer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1