» Discord Channels
Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:53 pm by Major Cooke

» super shotgun causes GZDoom to crash
Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:57 pm by Major Cooke

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

Michaelis

Most users ever online was 65 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:47 am

Share | 

Hobbies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Hobbies    Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:15 pm

So what's everyone's hobbies? What do you all do for fun besides AEons of Death?

• Making a secret project for ZDoom
  • Coding for ZDoom
  • Making a couple more not-so-secret projects for ZDoom including Disposable Heroes: ANGRY!!! and Happy Time Circus 2 development.
  • Playing Shadow Warrior
  • Trying to figure out how the FUCK to map in GZDoom Builder with 3D floors, and failing horrendously because sloped 3D floors are a massive pain in my ass.
  • Planning on making a reboot of Tyrian in the Unreal Engine. Hey, reboots are cool! If they aren't fucked up.
  • Enjoying Heroes of the Storm from time to time
  • Minecraft
  • A little bit of Diablo 3 (I never bought it, someone else did for me. I'd never buy it myself, fucking DRM. Even now I can't play it because the internet here is so terribad. Complete buzzkill.)
  • Anticipating the release of Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void in the future.
  • 3D modelling
  • Dreading the onslaught of summer allergies and grass mowing. If only I could set my yard on fire safely...

In short, to quote Piccolo from DBZ Abridged: NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRD!!!
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
ShadowTiger
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:09 pm

Hobbies. Hobbies!.

• I like to learn how to do things. I work in a Hardware store, and every day, someone requests something that I've never heard of. So I look it up and realize that it exists, and learn about that. I've begun to haunt thisoldhouse.com for assorted tips and such.
  • I also like to debunk things, though not to be an ass or anything. It's mostly for my own sanity. When a lot of your friends are new-agey conspiracy theorists, and a few of them are heavily anti-semitic and anti-Israel propagandists, you have to learn a thing or two just to survive, mentally. It can really ruin your brain unless you learn to tell the lies from the truth.
  • I am probably far more of a gamer than I ought to be. I do spend too much time on the computer. But I'll be damned if I don't play a mean game of Smash Bros.
  • Smash Bros. I'll say it again for a reason. I am a Smash junkie. I have won tournaments. I may or may not fuck you up. In a fun, warm and squishy way. My Link has transcended the character tier list.
  • I like to make homemade slushies. It sounds boring, but they're incredibly refreshing. You know how in the 50s it was the cool thing to do to hang out in those little diners and share a pop soda? Slushies is my equivalent of this. Somehow. It's the worst analogy I've ever made. Awesome.
  • I seem to have made MLP:FiM into some sort of mega-hobby, short of acquiring physical goods in bulk. I see something interesting in it that I don't hear people talking about all too often. I take the whole "friendship is magic" thing seriously, and a metric truckload of assorted synchronicities have made it painfully clear that I am supposed to be paying attention to this. Who am I to argue with the universe. It's worked out beautifully for me so far, actually. It got me my second job, which I love to bits.
  • I love listening to music that is profoundly intense. Cupcakes, for example. Very dire. It has to be meaningful though, or else it's just a bunch of loudness.

I could have pages and pages more, but I don't know what would constitute a "hobby" at this point. Eh.

I just consider myself lucky to be surrounded by wonderful people here. That's good enough for me.

Quote :
Trying to figure out how the FUCK to map in GZDoom Builder with 3D floors, and failing horrendously because sloped 3D floors are a massive pain in my ass.
I tried this once as well. Once. Apparently only once for a reason. It's rough.

Quote :
Planning on making a reboot of Tyrian in the Unreal Engine. Hey, reboots are cool! If they aren't fucked up.
Oh that would be kinda awesome. I never played enough Tyrian to justify to myself why it was so excellent, but I do know that it is exactly that.

Quote :
Anticipating the release of Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void in the future.
It's the Half Life 3 of the Starcraft world, apparently. Razz I can't wait too. Such a great series. Can't wait to see how it all ends. If it does.

Quote :
Dreading the onslaught of summer allergies and grass mowing. If only I could set my yard on fire safely...
I never got allergies, per se. I just sneeze a lot when I go from some kind of darkness to the light. I cannot look anywhere near the sun at all. I sneeze like a madman. Yes, exactly like a damned madman, apparently.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:12 pm

About SC2: LOTV -- at least they released a BETA, damnit!

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
"In Offline Gaming We Trust" - DBT & MC
"That truck is fucked." - FPS Russia
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:57 am

ShadowTiger wrote:
I like to learn how to do things.  I work in a Hardware store, and every day, someone requests something that I've never heard of.  So I look it up and realize that it exists, and learn about that.  I've begun to haunt thisoldhouse.com for assorted tips and such.  

That right there is a rather useful hobby! I wish i was a bit like that.

Okay, my turn. Many of the hobbies I'll mention are more like temporary hobbies, as I do them for a while until I get bored or until I cant any longer because of time restraints. The only exception being the first, which is a constant in my life.

• Music. Making music that is. I have written a fuckton on songs that I never recorded and I have forgotten quite a lot of them (and to be honest, 75% I wouldnt publish anyway, since Im very critic with my own creations and most of them are super cheesy). I had a couple bands, but I eventually realized that while I liked playing music, it was too troublesome to have a band. So I became a solo artist, recording and home-producing my own stuff at my leisure
  • Instruments. Learning to play them. Im not super skilled but I always liked the idea of learning. Im self taught. I learned guitar that way. But even though Im far from being an OK player with anything else, I like to play bass (one day I'll get the slaps right!), keyboard, I started messing with the drums and a violin for the time I had them around, I played a bit of harmonica, flute, I'd love a harp, and just about any instrument I can get my hands on.
  • Games. I was much more of a gamer before. I can hardly finish any game nowadays, where before, I was proud to say that almost any game I would finish in one or two days tops. However, I still enjoy playing games. Whether it is in the computer, on the vita, on the phone, or on the play station, dammit, I always find a bit of time to play something every day, even if it's just for 5 mins.
  • Modding for zdoom. Even though I havent really for a long time, I love to do that. That's why when I was taking a break from aeod after 6.0x, I went immediately to do other projects.
  • I used to be fairly good at rubik's cubes. I was already in the process of doing 5x5 cubes. But all that is lost now Razz
  • Watching pro matches of quake 3 / quake live. Dammit, that's skill
  • Tinkering with my phones. I have android, and I have actually 2 phones, but over the past 3 years I have had I dont know how many of them. Constant switching because I test just about any android phone I can, and I love installing newer versions of the OS and tweaking whatever I could. I even began learning about packing my own stuff into the "roms" to install a particular version with changes I wanted (heh, that's how aeod started, me learning how to add what I wanted where i wanted it), but that got nowhere because I lacked time. But in general, I can never keep one version for too long, as Im always flashing new roms just to try the latest and weirdest I can find Razz
  • At my job we use a lot of excel for databases and reports, so I developed a hobby of enhancing what we had with more efficient (or quicker) ways to do what we needed. Im currently starting to learn the VBA used there to program non recorded macros. It just pisses me off how different it looks from c o c++ which is what I was fairly good at back in the day.
  • Watching the Alien movies. Holy shit. I dont know how many times i've watched them, and I'll continue doing so.
  • Reading / watching anti neo-feminism stuff
  • Recording talkthroughs. I really found myself having fun doing that.

I think that's it. If I think of anything relevant I'll add it here.

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:27 am

ShadowTiger wrote:
I seem to have made MLP:FiM into some sort of mega-hobby, short of acquiring physical goods in bulk.  I see something interesting in it that I don't hear people talking about all too often.  I take the whole "friendship is magic" thing seriously, and a metric truckload of assorted synchronicities have made it painfully clear that I am supposed to be paying attention to this.  Who am I to argue with the universe.  It's worked out beautifully for me so far, actually.  It got me my second job, which I love to bits.

I would like to dedicate a post to how many people actually ignore that message. It's so easy how they adore the show yet outright essentially give the middle finger to it. Over half of the show watchers are STILL complete douchebags. Then again, they all stem from the furry extremist side where all they do is swing their fucking testicles around like wrecking balls (though it's funny to see them wreck their own faces, and cry like bitches). Oooh that shit never gets old. I have a bad habit of feeding off of the drama for a good laugh.

Incidently, it's what caused me to make an alienated version of the main six.

Warning! It's fucking massive!:

In the show, they would all try to meet the middle ground. In real life, bronies for the most part are 'my way or the high way' which just makes me want to see them fucking drop dead faster.

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
ShadowTiger
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:51 pm

Quote :
Reading / watching anti neo-feminism stuff
Really? I would not have expected this. I mean I never know what to expect from anything at any point in time, ever. A bird could land on my windowsill, sing showtunes for twenty minutes, and then turn into a pumpkin and explode again. ... ...er ... yeah. Anyway, what would you classify the "neo" in Neo-feminism as? Speaking from a position of total neutrality in the issue, I just saw a post on the internet depicting a horde of feminazis (as others call them) smashing urinals in a gesture of equality or some-such. Despite that urinals are generally more water-efficient than toilets, and are therefore potentially better for the environment.

Quote :
I used to be fairly good at rubik's cubes. I was already in the process of doing 5x5 cubes. But all that is lost now
Nice, man. This is not an easy sport. I have a friend working on a 5 sided one too. He's pretty quick, but you have to be a genius to really hammer away at it. I also watched someone do it blindfolded. There's no way that's easy.

Quote :
Watching pro matches of quake 3 / quake live. Dammit, that's skill
Yes, I have never not been impressed by those. Eventually you just reach a point in gameplay where your reflexes turn to liquid mercury, for lack of a better phrase. I wonder what kind of mouse or trackball they use. I also wonder if they would be as good on a laptop trackpad when paired against someone with less skill but using a better mouse. That would be interesting to watch. Just like how I always pick the worst Gamecube controller to give my opponent an edge in Smash Bros.

Quote :
(Major Cooke's post)
That image never ceases to get old. And yes, I do have a bunch of friends in the furry community who would say the same thing, also in agreement.

I think it's just a large bunch of individuals, all with their own personalities, who happen to gather in the same place and agree with some sort of rationality that just happens to have made its way in. It's not that they're naturally like that, but they're just more susceptible to that nasty idea than other people like us are. Nobody wants to be a dick. They just hear some really good reason to be one, and then think they're justified. Anyone who can see and understand more perspectives than just a single one will undoubtedly escape from that mind-trap and be a better person.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:01 pm

ShadowTiger wrote:
Anyone who can see and understand more perspectives than just a single one will undoubtedly escape from that mind-trap and be a better person.

While still being on the hate list of a particular group and shit, which I've had to deal with when trying to hire voice artists. You know what I'm talking about in particular already, but without mentioning what it's about, let's just say that after one little spat with a very popular member of a very extreme misunderstanding... well, shit happens right? So I go try finding another voice actress, but for a different character this time and I was lead in circles.

This last one I tried to offer a little something because I was fed up with being pointed to other members. I had enough of it. I didn't want to to keep dragging out emails to other people to see if they can work on the lines or not. I told them they can take as much time as they need, and I'm even offering them a little special something, they still said no.

Then the group leader comes up to me, tells me (paraphrased in short though he did it nicer) to 'stop haggling and accept no as an answer' -- fuck off in short before removing me from his contacts list. First, I don't consider trying to alter their decision as haggling when I'm offering compensation for it.

tl;dr:

Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:00 pm

ShadowTiger wrote:
Quote :
Reading / watching anti neo-feminism stuff
Really?  I would not have expected this.  I mean I never know what to expect from anything at any point in time, ever.  A bird could land on my windowsill, sing showtunes for twenty minutes, and then turn into a pumpkin and explode again.    ... ...er ... yeah.  Anyway, what would you classify the "neo" in Neo-feminism as?   Speaking from a position of total neutrality in the issue, I just saw a post on the internet depicting a horde of feminazis (as others call them) smashing urinals in a gesture of equality or some-such.   Despite that urinals are generally more water-efficient than toilets, and are therefore potentially better for the environment.  

Okay, Im going to add a warning here.

WARNING: Long read coming ahead. Open the spoiler at your own risk.

Spoiler:

"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:08 pm

Alternative name to third world feminist in this case, DBThanatos, is called a female supremacist. I hate their smugness.

It's reminding me of the weird shit I see tainting tumblr in terms of males, females, and their sexuality preferences: Cis.I know that people are actually condemning straight young men and women and shit because their cis.

Back to top Go down
ShadowTiger
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:12 am

Bloody hell. Really nice post, DBT! I did read every word, honest. The feminism issue has been slipping under my radar for a long time, but I'm glad I'm finally gaining some sort of glimpse into it. I'll definitely check out Karen's podcasts. I do need something to listen to in the background while I work. Awesomesauce. Thanks.

... and to condemn a person because they're cisgender is bizarre. It's an incredibly obvious thing for me to say, but anyone who takes any notice of gender-related issues that condemns an entire gender label is clearly missing the point, as to even start on the issue assumes every gender is both individual (rather than binary) and completely acceptable.

So yeah, I don't really understand how anyone can criticize the concept of cisgender, or anyone who chooses to label themselves as one.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:24 am

Because some people are retarded/evil. Nuff said!

Back to top Go down
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    Wed May 06, 2015 9:33 am

I truly enjoy how derailed this topic gets Smile It's great to see your long posts. It gives insight. It allows to see something from your life, even if for just a glance.

One of my hobbies is automating actions of a PC user. Before it was my hobby, I just learned it to automate voting to cheat in some Internet popularity contests. Honestly, it was never for myself, it was only for my friends Smile And everybody always cheated there anyway. I don't think today that I dealt harm to the global justice years ago by pushing one contestant to the top a few times.
But then I realized the true value of desktop automation. The virtual user works in your computer so that you won't need to be there yourself. Automation takes control over your PC from you and liberates you from PC's control over you in return. Sounds like a therapy for addiction? I think I don't have an addiction, but the fact that my PC can work without me for some time brings me great satisfaction. It is a bit like cloning yourself to do the cooking. Now that my daytime job is 7 hours of programming, I certainly like the fact that I can automate some stuff to be done [almost] as effectively as if I was doing it myself, with me drinking tea somewhere away.
Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    Wed May 06, 2015 1:10 pm

@Michaelis: That sounds great. I can definitely appreciate the beauty of automation. In a very basic way, I have made some macros in excel to do quite a few reports by just punching a button, and wait 3 seconds until it's done, rather than do everything manually and spend 15 minutes doing it.

But knowing your capabilities, I wonder what kind of crazy automation you must have programmed at work!

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    Wed May 06, 2015 1:25 pm

Major Cooke wrote:
Alternative name to third world feminist in this case, DBThanatos, is called a female supremacist. I hate their smugness.

It's reminding me of the weird shit I see tainting tumblr in terms of males, females, and their sexuality preferences: Cis.I know that people are actually condemning straight young men and women and shit because their cis.

Yep. Cis Scum!
Love the "internet aristocrat" series of tumblrisms Razz

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    Wed May 06, 2015 10:39 pm

I only watched up to 5 minutes before I got bored. Seriously, the slide show caught my attention and bored me with the rest. Shoulda done more cutscenes to keep it going.

At the end of the day, the anti-cis fuckers are just like the women supremacists, and to quote Eddie Griffin, "Dem aint the scary ones. The quiet motherfuckers, that's one you watch. Them'll kill us. The loudest motherfucker in the club is a bitch! Them nigga's loud cause he's scared, hoping to scare you!"

Start at 45 minutes.

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Back on track: I play Heroes of the Storm.

And I love Murky.:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies    

Back to top Go down

Hobbies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1