» Nothing visible
Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:27 am by Thefunny711

» [Fixed] Weapons no longer drop
Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:28 pm by Michaelis

» [Closed] v1.01.5 Not starting
Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:24 pm by Michaelis

» Read me. Unfixable bugs.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:40 pm by Major Cooke

» [Can't fix] Weapon Upgrade Menu does not freeze reloading.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:29 pm by Major Cooke

» Is it playable for d-touch
Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 pm by Michaelis

» [Fixed] a Bug and some of my thoughts
Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:20 am by DBThanatos

» About using stuff from the MOD
Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:14 am by Minuk

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 65 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:47 am

Share | 

Your Nostalgia Lane...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Your Nostalgia Lane...   Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:17 am

Nostalgia is starting to nip at my heels lately, but in a good way. Memories of good times. Because fuck the bad ones, honestly. But, there's times of good, when the phrase "All good things must come to an end" kicked in, one by one, and had us moving on...

What are some of yours?

My example is that of Darwinia and the development of the source code. I own it along with a handful of others but that's long since been worked on. It's... gone.

Another one is of an RP group I have spent so much time with, yet most members have moved on from.

The third, Tribes 2: Quantium Construction (It was labelled Quantium by Sun Quan for reasons beyond my knowing but it has long since gone.). Oooh, the memories.

For the record, I've maintained this name long since the release of Battlezone II, so some of you MIGHT recognize this name: Stagger1.

Maybe. Probably... not. But I was apart of all those things regardless of names. And they were glorious back then. I missed them so much.

So tell me yours!

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
"In Offline Gaming We Trust" - DBT & MC
"That truck is fucked." - FPS Russia
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
FistMarine
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Your Nostalgia Lane...   Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:58 pm

I've been feeling nostalgic in the last few years. I remember when I was young the times were so much better. I wish I could go back in time. I really disliked the high school (2011-2015) but I'm glad it's over. I hope the college will be much better. Smile
Back to top Go down
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Your Nostalgia Lane...   Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:00 am

You might have noticed in the signature quotes explanation thread that I've been nostalgic about one particular indie game developer recently.

Yeah, it feels good to recall it. I used to go to a pal after school and we'd play brawlers together on one PC, because these games had a two-player mode. And then we'd hack away at the graphics (they were plain BMPs in a folder) to make it abominable yet our own. Stupid stuff like snowmen made of human heads was not uncommon.

Then I joined the forum where fans of those games gathered. I seriously doubt that at any point of time more than 10 people were more-or-less active. There were probably as many people as there are here. However, we made much more "noise" (as in "flood"), as every single member of that forum was younger than anyone here.

And then creator of these games decided that he didn't want a forum full of 15-years-olds with jokes straight from 4chan and took down the forum. That's absolutely understandable. We made another one, but without fresh blood, it turned into nothing pretty quickly. Now I don't know anything about those old games and feel that I'm the only one to carry the light of their divinity, to care about their non-extinction. And it frightens me. It frightens me that in today's era of terabytes, petabytes and exabytes of storage and traffic, something can disappear and not be uncovered then.

I also feel nostalgic when I see new buildings all around that change the view of the city I'm accustomed to. I can go somewhere and hardly recognize the place. I don't think that it necessarily looked better before, but it's hard to refrain from thinking how in old days everything was different.

Or did I misunderstand what this topic is about?

Also, FistMarine, I totally feel for you. I disliked my high school a lot as well. But today I think that it was the time when I could accumulate skills and not care about passing time, which is something I don't feel like I can do today. I guess in ten years from now I'll think the same about this year as well though Smile

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Your Nostalgia Lane...   Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:12 am

Your on target, no worries. Nostalgia is about indeed, memory of the past coming back and living the moment again, partially.

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
FistMarine
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Your Nostalgia Lane...   Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:16 am

Michaelis, you are right, I am sure in a couple of years (e.g: after college is finished) I will miss High School (because that's what I thought too when I was thinking once about past) but this will be unlikely as High School was quite painful, I had a lot of bullies and they ruined some really good moments that I could have. I'm still hoping college will be much better. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Your Nostalgia Lane...   Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:48 am

College IS far better. Let me tell you, life has never been so much easier since I got to college. It has freed up so much time since high school, that I've been able to work on AEoD far more consistently -- in fact, I pretty much joined AEoD just after graduation of high school back in 2008. Here I am, 7 years later, still rocking, rolling, and kicking ass. And I don't think I have any other place to call 'home' like here. Very Happy

Differences between my second college and my high school:

• Choose your own classes suited to your own career
  • Choose how many you want to take per semester/quarter
  • Can take courses online over the internet without having to show up in person (FUCK YES!!! This has saved me so much money by not burning gas travelling to classes!)
  • Can pretty much regulate time much more easily thanks to online courses
  • Some courses are self paced, some are not.
  • Self paced courses online allow for more flexibility on when you do things, which may threaten the lazy factor of a person. Some courses outright let you work on all the homework at any given time so if one works hard enough, they could be done with the course in a week or two for example.
  • Most online courses are not so self paced. They usually set a deadline within a week or so for assignments to keep you on top of things.
  • Every class you take will most likely have you winding up with different students, and you probably won't meet them again in the same courses.
  • Most of my courses offer different times to help fit around work schedules, and online courses also allow extreme flexibility for this situation.
  • You are much more responsible for completing your course than ever.
  • Actually gears you towards your wanted career.

High school, you have to get up at a certain time, drive or be driven to it and take courses through different set rooms. You also have to deal with crap like limited time to visit the locker, exchange books, and hurry up to the next classroom.

Note: First college was not as flexible as the second college but it was still a lot of fun.

Back to top Go down
FistMarine
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Your Nostalgia Lane...   Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:43 am

Thanks for telling me MC, it's nice to know that College will be so much better! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Nostalgia Lane...   

Back to top Go down

Your Nostalgia Lane...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1