Lightning gun smoothness

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Lightning gun smoothness   Wed May 04, 2016 8:47 pm

Following a conversation from skype

@9:26 you can see how he uses the thunderbolt, and when he's firing it while moving and looking around, the "beam" is frozen in place where it was fired, even if for a fraction of a second, it doesnt look smooth. You can tell at which moment the engine is spawning and removing the beams

@7:18 you can see how when he fires the LG it looks smooth as baby "buttocks" even when moving and aiming around. You cant tell when the engine is "spawning" anything, because all movement is interpolated

In doom, we can spawn a max of 35 beams per second, because we have higher framerates, you can tell where one was spawned and where the other stopped existing (like the 1st vid but less extreme) vs being 100% smooth (like the 2nd vid)

That's why I was thinking if its possible to spawn a beam, and make it move with the player as he aims or moves, having the movement of the beam interpolated.

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Lightning gun smoothness   Thu May 05, 2016 2:17 am

Okay. So I made a quick video showing exactly what Im talking about. Please watch @720p 60FPS so that you can see the smoothness in action.

In the clip 1 and 2 (quake 3 and q3 team arena) the LG is choppy AF. When I turn around you can see how not only it lags behind, but you can tell how the end of the beam goes from point A to point B. In the clip 3 however, from QL, is all perfectly smooth.

The same way, clip 4 is the extreme example of quake's thunderbolt. Then when I activate the smooth sweep, you can see how the beam looks perfectly smooth.

Here's the comparison of why I went with HUD sprite rather than world actors.
1st clip is HUD sprites. Since it's just a graphic showing on top of everything, is always centered, always "smooth".
2nd clip is rail actor only. You can tell as I move how each rail looks exactly they way they are: separate rails. One is created, one is removed. Also, see how as I look around quickly is more noticeable.
3rd clip is both together for face to face comparison.
4th clip is how the electrodriver looks in AEoD. Looks good, but if you're turning around, that's when you see the issue.
5th clip is the gluon gun. This one is great, but the same situation happens in a smaller degree.

What I was wondering is, if instead of spawning 1 rail every tic, to spawn one beam that will be looping, and move that beam through A_Warp to use the interpolation of the function. I have no idea if this is possible at all, but that's exactly why Im bringing this up.

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Lightning gun smoothness
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1