AEons of Death

Forum to the ZDoom Mod AEoD / AEons of Death by DBThanatos
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» super shotgun causes GZDoom to crash
Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:57 pm by Major Cooke

» Nothing visible
Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:27 am by Thefunny711

» [Fixed] Weapons no longer drop
Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:28 pm by Michaelis

» [Closed] v1.01.5 Not starting
Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:24 pm by Michaelis

» Read me. Unfixable bugs.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:40 pm by Major Cooke

» [Can't fix] Weapon Upgrade Menu does not freeze reloading.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:29 pm by Major Cooke

» Is it playable for d-touch
Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 pm by Michaelis

» [Fixed] a Bug and some of my thoughts
Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:20 am by DBThanatos

» About using stuff from the MOD
Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:14 am by Minuk

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 65 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:47 am

Share | 
 

 Some commentaries and suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Synion
Gibs and Guts
Gibs and Guts


Posts : 2
Join date : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Some commentaries and suggestions   Sat May 01, 2010 5:20 pm

Hello everyone,

First of all, I would like to congratulate you for this excellent mod. I love playing vanilla Doom2 maps with this since it makes for a really fun experience with all the randomness. Since I discovered it I have been following its development closely and I must say each new version is better than the previous.

There are some things I specially like about the mod:
  • The randomness. Playing with random enemies and random weapons/powerups is really fun. It is somewhat akin to roguelike games, when you finally receive a sweet weapon you actually cheer.
  • The new 3 max weapons/slot. This makes for a better game since you must actually think which weapons you are going to carry (some kind of inventory management) and swapping between 3 weapons per key is not as tedious as in previous versions where you would spend lots of time searching for the correct weapon.
  • Random music is not included in the base. This is good because I like Doom music Wink
  • Nice weapon balance in general.
  • Almost all weapons are fun to use.
  • I LOVE the idea and execution of the spellbook.
  • The idea of different classes with different HUDs and starting weapons is really nice. This way you can use the HUD you prefer since classes are similar.


Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to throw in some suggestions:

  • The Riot Gun secondary fire should reload it. Also, I don't think it is powerful enough for use in slot 4.
  • The slot 9 sword which can change modes (I can't remember its name, sorry) is almost too powerful for relatively little red mana. I specially think that invoking dragons should cost more mana than other uses since it's really powerful. A couple dragons can clean a room with ease.
  • When starting a new game it would be really nice if a Hexen-like class selection screen showed up. This screen should show differences between classes (starting HP, weapons, etc.)
  • Sometimes I think there is too much ammo. This is cool because most of the time you can use the weapon you like, but sometimes it makes the game kind of easy. Luckily the enemies are really tough and you have to always be prepared for a beating, so it is kind of balanced.
  • I know it is both huge and difficult, but a random level generator would be so totally sweet.


Also, I have a question, what is exactly "weapon power"?

Thank you and keep up the great work!

EDIT: I forgot a suggestion: I'd like to play in widescreen, it would be nice if HUDs supported this feature.
Back to top Go down
ShadowTiger
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell


Posts : 257
Join date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Some commentaries and suggestions   Sat May 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Another suggestion!

Duke Nukem has the "Quick Kick" which is useful because he doesn't have to switch away from his current weapon to use it.

That is not my suggestion.

My suggestion is that the ultimate end result of the quick kick would be to shatter frozen enemies so they're not blocking your path.

So the suggestion here is to hit the "use" key when next to and facing a frozen enemy to shatter them. Is this possible?
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer


Posts : 5085
Join date : 2009-04-28
Location : Banana land.

PostSubject: Re: Some commentaries and suggestions   Sat May 08, 2010 5:34 pm

Synion wrote:

  • The Riot Gun secondary fire should reload it. Also, I don't think it is powerful enough for use in slot 4.
  • The slot 9 sword which can change modes (I can't remember its name, sorry) is almost too powerful for relatively little red mana. I specially think that invoking dragons should cost more mana than other uses since it's really powerful. A couple dragons can clean a room with ease.
  • When starting a new game it would be really nice if a Hexen-like class selection screen showed up. This screen should show differences between classes (starting HP, weapons, etc.)
  • Sometimes I think there is too much ammo. This is cool because most of the time you can use the weapon you like, but sometimes it makes the game kind of easy. Luckily the enemies are really tough and you have to always be prepared for a beating, so it is kind of balanced.
  • I know it is both huge and difficult, but a random level generator would be so totally sweet.


Also, I have a question, what is exactly "weapon power"?

Thank you and keep up the great work!

EDIT: I forgot a suggestion: I'd like to play in widescreen, it would be nice if HUDs supported this feature.

-Riot gun: No. The term "riot gun", derived from Shadow Warrior, was built upon and behaves just like it, although the secondary fire is slower. Shadow warrior, you couldn't reload unless you unloaded the whole thing.

-Drakan sword: The dragons can tend to cause friendly fire, which is the perfect sacrifice in exchange for a lower mana usage in my opinion. You have to use them wisely, and not everyone can do that well. clown

-Classes: It was at first, but because there were more than 8, you can't select the rest since the single player menu will only support a max of 8. Hence, it was moved to the player setup menu and a warning popped up when selecting a mode.

-Hah... ammo being too plentiful?... What skill do you play on, precisely?

-See Oblige.

ShadowTiger wrote:
"Quick Kick"

We've been asked that many times, but it's something which would require modifying the engine, so no, we cannot, sadly.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
ShadowTiger
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell


Posts : 257
Join date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Some commentaries and suggestions   Sat May 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Not a quick kick, actually. A quick kick isn't really necessary. Just a way to press the "use" key in front of a frozen enemy and they shatter. No extra weapon is involved.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer


Posts : 5085
Join date : 2009-04-28
Location : Banana land.

PostSubject: Re: Some commentaries and suggestions   Sat May 08, 2010 10:47 pm

I know. Still, it's something we cannot achieve without modifying the Zdoom source code, which is something we are not doing.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
Synion
Gibs and Guts
Gibs and Guts


Posts : 2
Join date : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Some commentaries and suggestions   Mon May 10, 2010 1:52 am

First of all, thank you for your responses.

Major Cooke wrote:

-Riot gun: No. The term "riot gun", derived from Shadow Warrior, was built upon and behaves just like it, although the secondary fire is slower. Shadow warrior, you couldn't reload unless you unloaded the whole thing.

Ok, got it.

Major Cooke wrote:

-Drakan sword: The dragons can tend to cause friendly fire, which is the perfect sacrifice in exchange for a lower mana usage in my opinion. You have to use them wisely, and not everyone can do that well. clown
Maybe I've been using them well enough then Wink


Major Cooke wrote:

-Classes: It was at first, but because there were more than 8, you can't select the rest since the single player menu will only support a max of 8. Hence, it was moved to the player setup menu and a warning popped up when selecting a mode.
That's a shame, I think it would streamline the interface, specially for new players.

Major Cooke wrote:

-Hah... ammo being too plentiful?... What skill do you play on, precisely?
Ultra-Violence on TNT.WAD. Maybe I just got lucky drops, I'll try some more wads with this new version.

Major Cooke wrote:

-See Oblige.
Would you care to link it, please?


Also, can somebody please explain what is weapon power?
Back to top Go down
Ichor
Developer
Developer


Posts : 1127
Join date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Some commentaries and suggestions   Mon May 10, 2010 5:43 am

Picking up one of those weapon power orbs will give you a small amount of a random ammo type.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Some commentaries and suggestions   

Back to top Go down
 
Some commentaries and suggestions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Im bored, give me suggestions.
» TORA Nurburgring 24 video suggestions
» New GK 1000 pts army, suggestions please!
» 1750 Tournament List... Suggestions?
» Suggestions/Problems/Feedback

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
AEons of Death :: Public :: General Talk-
Jump to: