» Nothing visible
Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:27 am by Thefunny711

» [Fixed] Weapons no longer drop
Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:28 pm by Michaelis

» [Closed] v1.01.5 Not starting
Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:24 pm by Michaelis

» Read me. Unfixable bugs.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:40 pm by Major Cooke

» [Can't fix] Weapon Upgrade Menu does not freeze reloading.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:29 pm by Major Cooke

» Is it playable for d-touch
Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 pm by Michaelis

» [Fixed] a Bug and some of my thoughts
Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:20 am by DBThanatos

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 65 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:47 am

Share | 

[Fixed] Targeting decoration bug

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rarsonic
Demon
Demon

PostSubject: [Fixed] Targeting decoration bug   Tue May 25, 2010 3:47 pm

While I was fooling around at Grosse, I found something quite strange happened with the pillars...

Spoiler:

It does not happen with the torches, though.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: [Fixed] Targeting decoration bug   Tue May 25, 2010 7:31 pm

Yeah. I know of this too. They need the +CANTSEEK flags.

The reason why the torches are unaffected is because they aren't customized like the pillars.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
Rarsonic
Demon
Demon

PostSubject: Re: [Fixed] Targeting decoration bug   Wed May 26, 2010 1:11 am

Major Cooke wrote:
Yeah. I know of this too. They need the +CANTSEEK flags.

Yeah, I thought something like that. It's not that bad, but it can be annoying in the heat of the battle, specially with weapons like the Bloodscourge or the Direct Hit Concussion Rocket Launcher altfire.
Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: [Fixed] Targeting decoration bug   Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:11 am

This actually happens only when you aim directly to the colum.

What happens is because of a "feature" that AEoD 5.0 added. The pillars became shootable for the purpose of being able to block the hitscan shots. While the idea was good, this has to be reverted.

One, because this bug, which extends to the fact that BFGsplashes also recognizes this things as targets, spending valuable splashes on things that cant be even destroyed (and there's one weapon which relies completely in BFG splashes, making this a big issue).

Two, which is more important: this might be a wad breaker. We dont know how many vanilla maps rely on the fact that this type of decorations (including trees, and all other decorations) block projectiles but not hitscan.

So, what I just did is the following. I went through all AEoD decoration replacers and "fixed" them.

All non destructible decorations (i.e. big tree, green and red columns, etc) will act as in vanilla doom, so they dont block hitscan attacks. All destrucible decoration (i.e. small tree, lamps, etc) will block also hitscans until destroyed (which takes very little ammo), and once destroyed, they still will block projectiles as always, but will let hitscan pass through, just like the orignal decoration does in vanilla.

So, after all, was a lot more work than just putting a flag into certain actors Wink
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: [Fixed] Targeting decoration bug   Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:45 am

Or what I did:

Code:
// Effects (Notice Order is imporent)
#include "Decorate/Effects/EFFECTS.AED"          // Gameplay Effects (Riochet, Footsteps, Smoke Tails for Exploding Barrels etc)
//#include "Decorate/Effects/BLOODD.AED"             // Blood Drip Effect for hanging corps
//#include "Decorate/Effects/CORPS.AED"             // Dead or totured Corps (appears mostly in Doom1 but nto so much in Doom2)
//#include "Decorate/Effects/FLARES.AED"             // Lensflare effects for torches
//#include "Decorate/Effects/STONES.AED"             // Stone Pillars and other Objects from Hell
// #include "Decorate/Effects/TORCHES.AED"          // Torches and Candels
#include "Decorate/Effects/BARRELS.AED"          // Barrels Objects
//#include "Decorate/Effects/ELAMPS.AED"             // Electronic Lamps
#include "Decorate/Effects/TREES.AED"             // Trees and Wood based Obejcts
#include "Decorate/Effects/WORLD.AED"             // Other Objects inside the Ingameworld
#include "Decorate/Pickups/KEYS.AED"               // New Pickup sounds for Keys
#include "Decorate/SPAWNERS2.AED"                     // New Spawner class for new spawner objects

I just removed them from loading, and that practically took care of itself.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: [Fixed] Targeting decoration bug   Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:39 pm

No. I told you already not too long ago: NO. That's just being lazy.

By doing that you're completely removing the whole feature. Following that logic, we should revert back to the original whatever that is broken in aeod. Have you ever even opened those decorate files you just removed? Maybe you havent realized, but the green pillars and the other decorations in aeod have another function: they play ambiance sounds. Also, by doing that you're removing the destructible decoration (which I already said how they will behave to follow vanilla's versions), taking away the beauty they add (i.e. the electric lamps and their flare effects).

In the other hand, I decided to go through each of the decoration actors in 2 instances of zdoom. One with AEoD and one being zdoom alone, comparing the expected "behavior" of the objects, one by one, and make sure it was replicated in aeod. If so, then I'd leave that actor alone. If not, check what's different and fix it so in the physics side it behaves just like the original. As I said already, I made a few exceptions considering extra factors. Trust me, I know that deleting their "include" would revert back to original, but that's certainly not acceptable. Not at all.

As I told you with your bastet "fix": is not about going the easy way and say "doesnt work? I'll get rid of it". Is actually looking for where the problem is.

Just so you remember:
DBThanatos wrote:
Major Cooker wrote:
Got rid of the Bastet and Bastetmaster's teleportation state when they are hurt. It caused too many problems such as attacking while not being shootable, completely invisible, and had to be killed via console command.
DONT DO THAT, seriously.

I forgot to mention yesterday, but that's not the way to solve things, and you've done it before.
While adding the effects for the controller's fireballs, I remembered and by watching the code, that the crash portion of it is completely gone, you mentioned you removed it because "it was causing problems". So, yeah, nice approach: it doesnt work as it should? let's get rid of it.

Well, no. That's not the way to fix a bug. Someone else gave me the feedback about the problem it was having (in another project where I contributed with the controller monster). It was just a simple function that I set up the wrong way, so, for that other project, I fixed it quite easily. Fortunately, I still have that code around and I will restore it in aeod. And I did forget to tell you that, but seriously, stop deleting portions of the code just because it didnt work as intended.

So the bastet teleport causes problems? Let's remove solid flag changing portion, and that will fix where it gets stuck in player (wont be the first mosnter to "teleport" while still being solid).
So, being completely invisible? A bad jump. How to fix it? that would be actually by bugfixing the code
So, it attacks players while invisble? A bad jump or something wrong on the code. Once again: How to fix it? that would be actually by bugfixing the code
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Fixed] Targeting decoration bug   

Back to top Go down

[Fixed] Targeting decoration bug
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1