» Nothing visible
Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:27 am by Thefunny711

» [Fixed] Weapons no longer drop
Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:28 pm by Michaelis

» [Closed] v1.01.5 Not starting
Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:24 pm by Michaelis

» Read me. Unfixable bugs.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:40 pm by Major Cooke

» [Can't fix] Weapon Upgrade Menu does not freeze reloading.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:29 pm by Major Cooke

» Is it playable for d-touch
Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 pm by Michaelis

» [Fixed] a Bug and some of my thoughts
Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:20 am by DBThanatos

» About using stuff from the MOD
Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:14 am by Minuk

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 65 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:47 am

Share | 

[Closed] Certain Monster Chasing Issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: [Closed] Certain Monster Chasing Issues   Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:51 am

AEoD v5.29.1
GZdoom r1157 (irrelevant to case)

Bug:

Some monsters like the Demilich use certain capabilities that wind up causing monsters to infight each other on maps which they "teleport" in from. This is due to their chase state, which the Demilich employs using A_Explode as he moves. Thus, they can cause many monsters to die in areas they aren't supposed to, and more than half of the map can instantly be wiped out by accident.

It's not just the Demilich, either. The hell knight Sheriff is another one, and quite a few more.

Take a look at these snapshots: http://img211.imageshack.us/g/screenshotdoom201101090.png/

The first one shows the kill count in the lower left hand corner, and the second one shows how much time I've spent in the map.

Yeah... It's that bad. Almost 4/5ths of the map dead in under 2 minutes? Sorry, I don't have an HHH with me. Even then, the map has a lot of obstacles. This is in Sunder.wad too.

Recommendation:

Remove any damage caused by movement effects, to help prevent causing fights in their spawner boxes.

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
"In Offline Gaming We Trust" - DBT & MC
"That truck is fucked." - FPS Russia
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
Ichor
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Certain Monster Chasing Issues   Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:50 am

I don't think that's the problem. The problem could be that monsters like the demilich and bronze golem have to summon a dummy 'monster' in order to fire a rail attack from higher than normal. If those dummys don't have -COUNTKILL on them, they will be counted as monsters in the kill count, and when they disappear, they don't count as being killed. This results in never being able to get 100% kills, and in some extreme cases, the monster count could end up exaggerated to the point of being ridiculous.

In the case of the sheriff (and at one point, motorcycle Leonard), they summon a dummy in order to create a GL light effect to simulate a gunflash. I noticed this one day when I was testing Leonard in Plutonia map 31. Before too long, the monster count was in the hundreds.

And I greatly reduced the A_Explode damage and radius for the demilich in version 5 to compensate for the added teleport ability. It shouldn't cause monsters to infight anyway. If they are, it's likely because the monsters are active and are trying to attack you from far away, which could be more of a map problem than an AEoD bug. I've seen that before when I was fixing map 11 of 1monster (I never did like that map anyway).
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Certain Monster Chasing Issues   Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:28 pm

You don't understand, he's still causing monsters to fight regardless. If he gets close to someone who reacts by shooting missiles towards the player, even if he has the +NOINFIGHTING flag, they will still launch missiles in the player's direction even from behind a wall and cause other monsters to attack them.

Also, the actors for things like rails have absolutely nothing to do with this.

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
Findus
UAC Space Marine
UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Certain Monster Chasing Issues   Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:23 am

Doesnt the demilich has some kind of aura that does damage to monsters that are close as well. Maybe that plays in a bit if hes moving around near clusters of monsters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/Findulidas?feature=mhee
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Certain Monster Chasing Issues   Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:54 am

Exactly why I started this thread.

Back to top Go down
Findus
UAC Space Marine
UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Certain Monster Chasing Issues   Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:56 am

Major Cooke wrote:

Alright, I cant really tell what you are talking about exactly when it gets to technical. I do know that the demilich has one several occations killed shitloads of enemies simply by being near on maps in uac5 when he has spawned on them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/Findulidas?feature=mhee
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Certain Monster Chasing Issues   Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:40 am

Heheh... Technical jargon for the AEoD team to comprehend and speaking so regular members can understand as well apparently doesn't mix well for others. Razz

Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Certain Monster Chasing Issues   Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:23 pm

Major Cooke wrote:
You don't understand, he's still causing monsters to fight.

Findus wrote:
Doesnt the demilich has some kind of aura that does damage to monsters that are close as well. Maybe that plays in a bit if hes moving around near clusters of monsters.

Major Cooke wrote:

Well, then you'd do good by explaining this better. A code in the 1st post would've been much clearer. Or a simple explanation like Findu's.

Anyway, Im thinking what to do here, since infight it's been always a major advantage for player (which I intend to keep) and even in the case you mention, that's an unintended but not completely unforeseen case. The solution would be to manually have some checks to verify the line of sight, and perhaps that'd be the way to go, but once again, I have to think about this, since certain monsters are indeed made to cause infight all around. So, if you have a list of monsters that do this, that'll help a lot.

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Certain Monster Chasing Issues   Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:10 pm

So far, the only few that I can think of having these issues are the Afrit (spreads flames underneath him, I think...), the Sheriff and the Demilich. I'll look out for more though...

And I do agree, infighting is really a life saver, it's just I hate it when they all kill each other in areas that the player won't ever see since they are supposed to be considered "otherworld" areas where they teleport in from.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Certain Monster Chasing Issues   

Back to top Go down

[Closed] Certain Monster Chasing Issues
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1