Share | 

[Released] Dream of Magic 2.0

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: [Released] Dream of Magic 2.0   Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:30 am

Dream Of Magic 2.0 (A hexen mod released in 2008)

This is a single player Hexen mod, where you can play as one of two characters: Necromancer and Demoness.
For now this mod introduces you to five maps, four small and one big.

There are puzzles... well, sequences, those arent complicated enough to be a puzzle. As hexen, this mod isnt lineal, not totally. I tried to make it less complicated than hexen1 but not as simple as doom.
Even thought I used all the new sources from Hexen2, this mod is not related to hexen's world at all.

The readme wrote:
This mod is oriented to a more "Doomish" gameplay, however, is not the same.
You'll start with one weapon which will be the only one for quite some time,
but is not as weak as one could expect. It works fine for the starting monsters
with a plus: it's secondary fire. Depending on your class is what the 2ndary fire
will do.

For the necromancer, as one can expect, you'll be able to resurrect fallen foes
to help you, however everything have a price: Your own blood. Every time you ATTEMPT
to raise a fallen monster, you'll loose some health. You cant expect to give life to
a corpse for free. Other thing to take in count is the fact that when you raise a monster
you leave it in a weak state, it'll not be as healthy as when was alive, plus it's
flesh/skin will be weaker, causing it to gib when killed again, preventing from
re-resurrecting.

For the demoness, you'll be able to summon a little fiend from the pits to aid your
quest. As the necromancer, your extra ability takes some of your blood, however you'll
loose the health only when the demon is summoned; failed attempts doesnt hurts you.

Other important thing in this mod, is the use of the (very few different) items.
Your eternal friend are the "health quartz" (the purple healing bottles) for obvious
reasons, they are quite common. But somewhat more important than the health potions
are the Discs of Repulsion. In this mod, you'll find a helluva of those discs for a good
reason: the lack of mana or firepower is compensated ny the power of those discs. The disc of
repulsion is a very useful artifact. They work as a defensive and offensive. Defensive because
they can repel most of the incoming projectile attacks and the near monsters. Offensive because
as they repel monsters they also cause damage, not counting the fact that sometimes you can
turn the enemies attacks against themselves (very useful against the sand golems).

Also, everytime you kill a monster there is a chance that they'll drop some stuff. From a bit
of mana to it's life force (which will heal you).

In general the gameplay is similar to hexen, with the variation that you'll find monre
monsters than in the original game.

Spoiler:

The screenshots:

Dream Of Magic 2.0 Ep1 Download
If you play it in GZdoom it should be GZDoom 1.1.0 (because of some problems with the newest versions), also use "sector light mode: doom" and gl_lights_size 0.9 (about half of the bar). Also is imperative you set the sprites clipping mode (adjust sprite clipping) to "Never", otherwise you'll get some odd visual effects in the monsters.
If you play in ZDoom you should not worry about anything at all (except for the issues mentioned in the readme).

A very important note I forgot to add in the Readme file: Music Credits

While this mod uses the Hexen's music for the levels, the boss battles have a new music. Well, new to hexen at least.

Credits for the Boss Batles MIDI music:

* Death
* Necrophagist
* Nile

Something about the ultimate secret in the hub:

2011 note: Unfortunately, there are 2 sections where the music stops. This is because of how gzdoom used to handle the music files back then, and how it doesnt do it in the same way now. Still, the mod is playable in the latest gzdoom version, and most people seem to play without the music anyway. Keep in mind this is an old mod, so dont expect anything groundbreaking here. I think is fun though. And nobody ever found the big secret hidden in the HUB.

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: [Released] Dream of Magic 2.0   Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:52 am

Heh, too bad I don't have Hexen. Ah well, it's probably not for me anyway due to my liking of blam blam shoot-em-up crazes.

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
"In Offline Gaming We Trust" - DBT & MC
"That truck is fucked." - FPS Russia
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: [Released] Dream of Magic 2.0   Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Well, this thing is much more action based than the original hexen. Not as much as doom, but you always have something to shoot at.

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Released] Dream of Magic 2.0   

Back to top Go down

[Released] Dream of Magic 2.0
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1