Attention, all gamers!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Attention, all gamers!   Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:57 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib7-vSrp6y8

So recently we know that one of the bills to ban the selling of violent video games to minors was struck down due to direct conflict with the first amendment, based in California. It is a great victory for the gaming community as a whole, not just one or the other. While this wouldn't really affect anyone outside of the United States (DBThanatos/Reilsss/Findus), it certainly would for everyone within such as myself, even though I'm 21.

Now, however, they're trying to enact a bill that'll make videos like unauthorized streams of things such as Let's Play tutorials or machinimas illegal and a criminal offense. This will result in jail time and fines, which means that potentially EVERYONE in the world would be affected.

It's pure bullshit. Help us out! Go to this page and sign the anti-bill petition.

Amy Klobuchar and John Cornyn deserve to have 1 rock thrown at them, per person passing by. No need for more than one, there's PLENTY to go around!

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
"In Offline Gaming We Trust" - DBT & MC
"That truck is fucked." - FPS Russia
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Attention, all gamers!   Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:12 pm

Well, that sucks. But I wonder if it would be like with other copyrighted material in youtube, where the stuff can stay there until the copyright holder claims it wants it removed. I wonder if id software would care about doom... considering is a game which source has been released already...

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Attention, all gamers!   Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:32 pm

I think everything will be affected.

So please, sign the petition. Do the world a favor, yes? Because the law will extend into other country-reaching places like Google and Youtube, who are all around the world except China (google pulled the plug on them, said fuck you, and disabled their entire search engine over there)

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
Findus
UAC Space Marine
UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: Attention, all gamers!   Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Major Cooke wrote:

Now, however, they're trying to enact a bill that'll make videos like unauthorized streams of things such as Let's Play tutorials or machinimas illegal and a criminal offense.

I dont really see a point to making these things illegal. The companies selling the games get free "commercials" about the games from these things after all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/Findulidas?feature=mhee
Findus
UAC Space Marine
UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: Attention, all gamers!   Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:29 pm

Then again ten strikes out laws are ridiculus from the get go since they make HUGE amounts of people go to jail. Yet they are staple in US.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Attention, all gamers!   Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Findus wrote:
I dont really see a point to making these things illegal. The companies selling the games get free "commercials" about the games from these things after all.

You can join the club by grabbing a digital pen and signing. Smile

And really, half the people in the United States that wind up in prison are there because of non-violent reasons, in particularly drugs. Everywhere else it's a medical condition. The United States has so many things wrong with it... then again, what state doesn't have their own share of fuck-ups?

Back to top Go down
Mr.Kosta
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

PostSubject: Re: Attention, all gamers!   Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:12 am

Man, is being severely retarded a prerequisite for being a politician nowadays? Consider this signed, although I doubt here in Spain such a bill would pass.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Attention, all gamers!   Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:40 am

I don't think you understand why I present this to everyone; corporations like Google, for instance. Google had a bad run-in with China last year, and they became pissed off. So they went and completely unfiltered their search engine. After a while, Google said "fuck you, we're outta here." and pulled out of China when it came to the search engine, essentially blocking them out. I understand it's China's fault as it was a rather well-coordinated attack which they believe was done by a government agency, so Google's not the bad guy.

If corporations can do that, imagine what they'll try to do with people over-seas.

Back to top Go down
Findus
UAC Space Marine
UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: Attention, all gamers!   Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Major Cooke wrote:

If corporations can do that

There are still good old search engines left, even though they arent used as often as they used to. If google does something stupid, people might go back to the old altavista and such they used years ago. Also its not like youtube is the only community with streaming clips either. Just the biggest most used one.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Attention, all gamers!   Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:54 pm

That's not the point. It's an example. Why? They FREELY chose to go against the laws of China.

Back to top Go down
Findus
UAC Space Marine
UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: Attention, all gamers!   Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:30 pm

Major Cooke wrote:
They FREELY chose to go against the laws of China.

What are you trying to say? That google can ignore laws to put people in jail or that they wont? At any rate if some company tries to pull something like that off you be sure to get most ppl changing to something else.
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Attention, all gamers!   Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:30 pm

*sigh* Nevermind.

Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Attention, all gamers!   Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:34 am

Major Cooke wrote:
*sigh* Nevermind.

That doesnt seem to be the best way to debate about something.

All in all, even I had trouble understanding what you mean with your example. So, you're comparing the proposed law with whatever china did that pissed google off?

While I do understand how shitty this whole thing is, I think that the way you're presenting your comparison is rather ugly, because you are assuming I know what happened between google and china. If you are defending/discussing something, either use what you have about the subject, or if you will introduce new material to the discussion, make sure to give a reference of what you're talking about.

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Attention, all gamers!   Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:04 am

I said nevermind because Google was indeed a rather bad example.

I'll just say this:

If this becomes a law, it'll be exploited to the point where it'll take down stuff from other countries. I just know it will.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Attention, all gamers!   

Back to top Go down

Attention, all gamers!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1