Most users ever online was 65 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:47 am

Share | 

Phobias - Your most and least prominent

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
    AuthorMessage
    Major Cooke
    Developer
    Developer

PostSubject: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:20 am

Here I kinda wanted to talk about the enormous list of phobias simply to share thoughts about.

I.e. Batman has (had) Chirotophobia - A fear of bats. But now, he uses it as a tool, a weapon, to his prodigious skill.

Most prominent: Arachnophobia - At first when I was a young kid, I played live and let live with nature's insects. I never was afraid of spiders. I quite enjoyed playing with daddy long legs, actually, and I never attempted to hurt them.

However, come 16 years of age, I woke up to something crawling on my leg. It was a really weird spider, a brown recluse actually (though at the time I didn't know what the hell it was) and it had bit me. I tried to kill it but I lost track of him, not to mention I had to leave for school. I didn't actually feel him bite me though as I was deep-sleeping. It had left a large staph infection in my leg which apparently was a big sack full of black shit, almost the size of the spider times two. My dad, being a doctor, operated on it, cut it open after numbing it all up and drained all the shit out of it.

Later that night my mom had to pull the gauze used to stem the bleeding out, and it was the most hellish experience I had ever gone through. It hurt so fucking bad when she pulled it out mainly because the blood had hardened around it. After that point, I swore never to be kept offguard again. It doesn't necessarily haunt me but it's one of the reasons why I tend to sleep lightly now. I cringe and get the insta-goosebumps upon seeing any spider now, unless it's a daddy long leg.

Least prominent: Coulrophobia - I don't think clowns are scary. I think they're actually really funny and quite charming. I do not see what's so scary about them, though legend has it that coulrophobia might have started out when a man in a clown suit murdered several people. There's that and Stephen King's IT... but watching Stephen King's IT just made me feel like wanting to become a clown for some really morbid reason, and I suppose it was just because of all the hilarious things Pennywise does except for the murdering and bloodlust.

Noteworthy: Astraphobia - I'm in a love/hate relationship with this one. I like thunder and lightning, but not when it wakes me up. I think my electronics are at risk the most here since I don't have an APC Surge protector around, and I can't help but think a meteor may have crashed around us. But during the day, lightning is fun as the thunder gives me this feeling of energy coarsing through my veins and it gets me motivated... unless there's tornado sirens involved.

-----

Come to think about it, since I love clowns and hate spiders, it put me at odds with Stephen King's IT due to the rather retarded spider... Though since it's just Pennywise 9/10s of the time, it's safe to say that I don't have anything to complain about much.

So what's your dramatic stories about your most/least prominent fears?

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
    "In Offline Gaming We Trust" - DBT & MC
    "That truck is fucked." - FPS Russia
    Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
    Back to top Go down
    http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
    DBThanatos
    Developer
    Developer

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:45 pm

I dont think I have any phobias at all. Which is good I think. I have phobophobia.

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
    "02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
    "Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
    "Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
    "What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
    "In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
    Findus
    UAC Space Marine
    UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:53 pm

I had an irrational fear of mushrooms for some reason as a child, though I slowly grew out of it when I was about ten. Think I got it once when some kid at my street threw a big mouldy mushroom in my face when I was very little, though Im not sure. Think thats why mushrooms are one of the few things I dont like to eat that almost everyone else like to eat.
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Findulidas?feature=mhee
    Major Cooke
    Developer
    Developer

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:04 pm

I don't like mushrooms, though I don't fear them either.

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
    Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
    Back to top Go down
    Ribo Zurai
    Baron of Hell
    Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:29 pm

I guess I have Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia, which is the fear of the number 666. Seriously.

I have some likings for demon stuff, all it's related material is really interesting. But when I make a video with demons/hell references, such 666, I feel unsafe, like if I'm acting like a satanist. Odd. Also, because of my anxiety disorder, I began to be afraid of anything related to hell.
    Back to top Go down
    Findus
    UAC Space Marine
    UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Ribo Zurai wrote:
    began to be afraid of anything related to hell.

Thats due to being brainwashed by religion, no seriously. Watch the atheist experience, read richard dawkins or hitchens if you like something with a little more bite. Going around being afraid of fictional concepts and mere numbers isnt healthy.
    Back to top Go down
    Ribo Zurai
    Baron of Hell
    Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Findus wrote:
    Ribo Zurai wrote:
    began to be afraid of anything related to hell.

Thats due to being brainwashed by religion, no seriously. Watch the atheist experience, read richard dawkins or hitchens if you like something with a little more bite. Going around being afraid of fictional concepts and mere numbers isnt healthy.

That's true, I always thought that being afraid of something that no one is even sure about it's existence is some real shit. Thanks for the support anyway. Wink
    Back to top Go down
    Major Cooke
    Developer
    Developer

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:09 pm

Ribo Zurai wrote:
    I have some likings for demon stuff, all it's related material is really interesting. But when I make a video with demons/hell references, such 666, I feel unsafe, like if I'm acting like a satanist. Odd. Also, because of my anxiety disorder, I began to be afraid of anything related to hell.

Satanism is often thought of to have a definition it does not. In this case, devil worshipping or signs of apocalyptic mayhem is not satanism at all. It's about self-centered praise, thinking about yourself, not Satan. Google the Church of Satan if you're feeling ballsy enough and there aren't any catholics looking over your shoulder (it's not that bad but the word "satan" might spark some outcry because, as Findus put it, brainwashing makes people afraid of it)

Or just look them up on the Wiki. Seriously now, I can't help but think that this is as close to being druidic as possible without including all the nature stuff.

Back to top Go down
    Findus
    UAC Space Marine
    UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:21 am

Major Cooke wrote:
    In this case, devil worshipping or signs of apocalyptic mayhem is not satanism at all.

Oh, I wouldnt know about that. There are of course more sensible satanists than not but they are out there for sure. Then again there are wastly more psychopatic destructive christians than those and thats a fact. Moreover I wish I sometimes had a little fear about devil worshipping and such, some horror films become so lame when your a (somewhat I hope) skeptical atheist. Havent been properly scared since I played through doom3 in one sitting on the hardest I could the first time I got it.
    Back to top Go down
    Mr.Kosta
    Cyberdemon
    Cyberdemon

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:59 am

Ribo Zurai wrote:

This may help:

Remember, unless whoever threatens you with hell is able to provide peer-reviewed scientific literature that shows beyond a shadow of a doubt such a thing as this hell they speak of exists, don't take them seriously. After all, I'm sure you don't believe in unicorns or pots o' gold at the end of the rainbow, for the very same reason you shouldn't believe in hell.
    Back to top Go down
    Findus
    UAC Space Marine
    UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:32 am

Im a huge fan of atheist experience, seen every last episode the four-five years and listened most of the episodes of non-prophets.
    Back to top Go down
    Colossus
    Baron of Hell
    Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:55 am

I used to have a consirable nyctophobia(fear of the dark) when I was younger, but I kinda grew out of it.

Now I have several phobia, some that can be classified as social phobia:

Anthropophobia(fear of people or the company of people; not very serious)
    Atychiphobia(fear of failure; not serious, but evident whenever something that's not straighforward arises)
    Catagelophobia(fear of being ridiculed or being embarrassed; only if Im with people who I don't know too well/don't trust)

Those are the ones I familiriaize myself with. Might be more, not sure...
    Back to top Go down
    Major Cooke
    Developer
    Developer

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:59 pm

I think Satanism is quite a misnomer at times since it refers to three different things, so I think an appropriate title for devil-worshipping would be Luciferism. Think about it, the name "Satan" means "Accuser" in some language that I forget about. Lucifer's the name of an angel who actually fell out of heaven, though people just prefer to call him Satan.

Back to top Go down
    Findus
    UAC Space Marine
    UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:59 pm

There are many movements that call themselves satanists thought since they are so diffrent they are often called something else just to distinguish themselves. I honestly dont see the point in someone calling themselves a satanist because someone like that clearly doesnt believe in god. While calling oneself satanist to anger/scare christians may be amusing it certainly isnt true.
    Back to top Go down
    Mr.Kosta
    Cyberdemon
    Cyberdemon

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:29 pm

Findus wrote:
    I honestly dont see the point in someone calling themselves a satanist because someone like that clearly doesnt believe in god.

Well, if you believe in satan you must at least believe in some judeo-christian mythology to be slightly coherent. That would include god.

I'm an atheist, so both are fairy tales to me.
    Back to top Go down
    Findus
    UAC Space Marine
    UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:04 pm

But if you truly believe in the christian god then you must believe in eternal punishment for not believing in him along with many other things. Which in case it doesnt make sense to be a satanist. That is why I think you cannot be a satanist unless you dont believe in god. If you dont believe in what the bible says about god and satan then you are just making shit up in which case your not really a satanist at all but merely following some other religion.

On the other hand I could understand the opinion some relgious ppl have that satan is really the "good guy" and all that god has just lied and decieved us. If you read the whole bible god has done some seriously disturbing stuff like told his ppl that they should kill everyone in few cities except for the virgins which they should keep for themselves... lol! . I also remember that someone made a calculation study which showed that god had told his ppl to kill (which they did) and had himself killed around 2,000,000 ppl i think it was, the calculation didnt involve the ridiculus stuff like drowning everyone on the planet and killing every first born in egypt. Satan or the devil had only killed about 10 ppl (which god made him do in a bet btw) and while he fought god I dont really see a point in being pissed about it when you are supposed to be both forgiving and all powerful. Satan is mostly supposedly evil in the bible, he doesnt really do much evil that its written about.

That said I dont really believe in any of it, but I find it fascinating.
    Back to top Go down
    Major Cooke
    Developer
    Developer

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Mr.Kosta wrote:
    I'm an atheist, so both are fairy tales to me.

Oooh, so are all the pretty pretty unicorns that Richard the Warlock calls his home! That, and My Little Pony.

lol!

Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phobias - Your most and least prominent   

Back to top Go down

Phobias - Your most and least prominent
    View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
    Page 1 of 1