» Nothing visible
Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:27 am by Thefunny711

» [Fixed] Weapons no longer drop
Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:28 pm by Michaelis

» [Closed] v1.01.5 Not starting
Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:24 pm by Michaelis

» Read me. Unfixable bugs.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:40 pm by Major Cooke

» [Can't fix] Weapon Upgrade Menu does not freeze reloading.
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:29 pm by Major Cooke

» Is it playable for d-touch
Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 pm by Michaelis

» [Fixed] a Bug and some of my thoughts
Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:20 am by DBThanatos

» About using stuff from the MOD
Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:14 am by Minuk

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 65 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:47 am

Share | 

Friendliness-related feature suggestion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Friendliness-related feature suggestion   Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Another feature suggestion I come up with is most probably hard to implement, but I personally believe that it's worth it, and offer my help with it in case you are interested.

A way to tell friendly monsters from unfriendly ones.

The way I thought of it would be similar to Quake III teammates: some marker (in Quake III it's yellow triangle) above the monster in question. With A_Warp it is now possible to fix the marker actor over its master (who would summon it in Spawn state and get a token to prevent multiple markers in same place).

This screenshot depicts what it's like in Q3. (Actually, it's not a teammate, it's player, but as soon as you're on the same team with yourself, this counts.)
screenshot:

Last edited by Michaelis on Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Michaelis
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Friendliness-related feature suggestion   Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:58 pm

I have quickly thrown together an example of this in Doom2.

Screenshots:

Code:

Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Friendliness-related feature suggestion   Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:49 pm

The idea is interesting, yes, and would be beneficial (on very specific circumstances though), but once again Im reluctant to do anything that has to do with going through each monster adding states and the like.

From your other suggestion
Quote :
Speaking of impressive coding---weren't all these custom damagetypes for spells, and even generally types of enemies with vulnerabilities and resistances, much greater work?
That's true, but let's make 3 things clear:

1. All the spells states were added by one single experienced AEoD official developer (Ichor), and while it did affect all the monsters, it was a change that added actual functionality on the mod, rather than just a display (in this case) or cheat-friendly (the Death.Massacre suggestion) addition. It did mean going through each monster adding them, and it meant even more work due to the fact that spells effectiveness is affected by the monster class, so that means playing with a big bunch of numbers. So, again, yes, it was a lot of work, but it had an actual gameplay purpose.

2. All the monster/attack damage types and resistances are no point of comparison because they, in no way affect the states of the monsters, exception being the disintegrate death, which was completely added by me, and while it is display, is display that is triggered by a big number of weapons, vs this friendly display that is triggered by a very limited number of weapons. Is not laziness what Major Cooke meant by "running through all of them just to add a feature for cheating does not sit well for us at all", which brings me to the 3rd point.

3. The internal development of AEoD 6 has gone through quite a few iterations related to the fact that additions must not bloat the code of the monsters anymore. Back to point 1, while all those additions are great, they did represent a lot of code bloating, making it unreadable and very unfriendly for further modifications. In the actual state of the v6, a lot of code bloating was removed. For this upcoming version that's all the code cleaning we're doing (in the future the whole spell states are going to be removed, since we're in the works on replicate them without the need of those states). With this information you should notice that what you're suggesting is actually one step backwards rather than forwards, according to AEoD's schedule.

Now, as I said first, the idea is good, yes. I'd love to have something like that, but unless another way to do it is found, without messing with the actor states, the suggestion will have to be rejected. Now, I see that you're familiar with some advanced DECORATE editing, so, perhaps you can help us find another way to do it more fitting to what we're doing in AEoD.

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Friendliness-related feature suggestion   Today at 2:16 pm

Back to top Go down

Friendliness-related feature suggestion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1