Share | 

Serious Sam 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Serious Sam 3   Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:55 am

...is easily my game of the year. Enough said.

Here's some of my favorite quotes:
"Wakey wakey, motherfucker!"
"Line up! I'm giving out free tickets... to HELL!"
"Damn, I'm good!" *a moment later after another horde* "Damn, I'm... BETTER than good!"
"If war is an art, then I'm fuckin' Michaelangelo!"
"Demolition charges to blow shit up with, four hundred dollars. Making ancient history go up in dust..." *detonates C4 placed on an egyptian sphynx* "...PRICELESS."

They took the best of serious sam 1 and added it to serious sam 3, not to mention they also added regular humans to the game as well.

Serious Sam 3 so far is a prequel to the first and second encounters of Serious Sam 1. I haven't even finished the entire game yet and I'm still loving it to death.

"A secret on the level Under the Iron Cloud":

All the weapons are worth it, and the effect of the blood splatters is extremely minimal to notice. Yes, DBT, I'm mentioning this to you because, for some reason it just doesn't stick out all that much enough for me to notice. Razz

Anyway, I highly recommend it, and I even got the trailer music from the game files themselves.

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
"In Offline Gaming We Trust" - DBT & MC
"That truck is fucked." - FPS Russia
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
Findus
UAC Space Marine
UAC Space Marine

PostSubject: Re: Serious Sam 3   Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:57 pm

I think serious sam is fun on lan/multi but not really otherwise. I think you either need something that changes a lot with millions of diffrent monsters and spells and stuff or multiplayer for pure fps games to work. Atmosphere is cool but it only lasts so long.

My game of the year is probably dwarf fortress. That game is something else. Could also be minecraft, terraria or dungeon defenders. All diffrent pretty innovative games I either discovered or rediscovered this year.

Im really waiting for diablo 3 though. Blizzards games never fail. Will probably be released in 2 years or so.... Sleep
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/Findulidas?feature=mhee
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Serious Sam 3   Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:01 pm

I'm boycotting Blizzard entirely. Serious Sam is for the lovers, and by God it has renewed my faith. Very Happy

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
Ribo Zurai
Baron of Hell
Baron of Hell

PostSubject: Re: Serious Sam 3   Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:34 pm

Serious Sam 3 seems to be different from the previous ones, but it still looks extremely good as the usual. What disappoints me is the touch of "reality" into it, some guns resembles me of Battlefield 3 or other war simulators. But the game still looks really awesome. Razz
Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Serious Sam 3   Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:11 am

I have to disagree with Diablo 3. I was waiting really bad for it. Now Im not interested.

I dislike the whole WoW feeling of it. They keep saying "is totally different from WoW". Yeah, also totally different from the dark and opressive atmosphere of the diablo games. Hell, not even the brightest happiest place in diablo 2 (say, the desert chapter), which of the 2 diablos available is the "brightest" one, looks like this:
Spoiler:

That's a joke. A cartoonish joke.

Beware! Really scary dark, oppresive screenshots ahead:
Spoiler:

And even then, I decided to leave that aside, being positive and all ("changes are for the better"... i guess), but I still say that I wont spend a penny in a game that has single player, but discriminates anyone who doesnt have Internet everywhere. So much for playing in my laptop in a trip, or in a internet outage, which isnt all that uncommon here.

Always online as their idiotic DRM. THANKS! I sure appreciate that you're forcing me to be online all the time. Stupid assumptions of "well, everyone by now should have internet. Is so easy to get it".

Now, I happen to love indie developers because apparently they are the ones who are going against that DRM bullshit.

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Serious Sam 3   Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:53 pm

Damn straight! Oh, and you know what's funny about the second screenshot in the second spoiler of yours, DBT? There's a rainbow.

A RAINBOW.

*facepalm*

...Which leads us to our all famous quote we've adopted:

In Offline Gaming We Trust

Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Serious Sam 3   Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:49 am

Yeah.

Now, about the original topic:

Surprisingly. Im not liking too much what I found. At least not in the difficulty Im playing. Being an average FPS player, I found this too... bad. I kept on reading positive reviews where they praise the game as soon as it abandons the urban scenario. Well, I happen to think quite the opposite. Not because of the scenario (because those levels felt the same thing over and over and over), but because of the monsters.

The shotgunners / assault rifle guys: Yeah, weak as fuck. But I dont like that they can snipe on me like that. Not when there's a ton of them, and I have to be reloading the weapons every 8 seconds. Long-ass reloading sequence for the machinegun, that while can be cut by sprinting, or quickly switching weapons at the right time, is still a hassle to deal with.

Kamikaze guys, that somehow sometimes dont yell (rarely, but happens. thanks! i just got splattered because I couldnt tell one of them was right behind me), are really fast, and that deal ridiculous amount of damage (low damage, if any) to enemies. So much for luring them into the other monsters crowds.

Small scorpion creatures that again, snipe on you regardless of how far away they are.

Big scorpions that not only they snipe, but take a ton of ammo to kill.

Spiders that fire incredibly accurate acid projectiles, plus quite resistant.

Quake(1) fiends wannabes: Stupidly fast, with a leap attack that somehow have a bigger range than the monster's body. This one I consider a really badly designed enemy. Is supposed to be the meelee nightmare (so far, I havent gotten that far anyway). Well, it is a nightmare in a bad way. Too fast. I can deal with that, except that the goddamn thing leaps and deals like 20 points of damage. Ok, not every monster should deal 1 point of damage, but for a monster that is this fast, that takes so much ammo to kill (pistol? dont even try it. Shotgun? At close range, still innefective. SSG? pretty good, at very close range, but turns out the weapon is too slow to kill all this guys that are thrown at your face at the same time. Machinegun? great, I can snipe on them, except that I kill 2 at most with a single clip, and then, reload time again! ... sure is fun. Rocketlauncher? At long distances it works. Except that it seems to take a rocket to kill each one, and the splash damage is a joke against general monsters (it only seems to work agains the most basic and extremely weak monsters), but dont you fire the thing too close, because you'll regret it. Plastic explosives? it would work if you could only manage to lure all them together, and then again, the weird trajectory of the explosive thing, makes things worse; and that's forgetting how easily you kill yourself with that thing. Minigun: well, i dont have it. I have hopes on this one, but somehow I feel like I'll be disappointed. Hand cannon: well, it'll be too much if this one wouldnt work very well, and even then, I still dont like the weapon too much. ----- Did I mention this guy has a ranged attack? The monster would be fine, if they didnt throw as many as they do.

Mechanic dual-laser big individuals: I havent found that many of them, but for what I've seen, another sniping monster. At least is not a hitscan, but still, sniping monster.

The other monsters I've encountered seem fair enough, though I dont like the mini spiders having a ranged attack

Now, the weapons, the ones I've got:
Hammer sledge. I hate they mess so much with my camera view. Too slow to rise the thing when an enemy is in your sight. Much worse to hit something when no monster is in sight. But all in all, I find it useful against the gorilla-like creatures. But only for that. I hate how the fiend wannabes hit you even before they are in the reach of the sledge. I know it can be done without taking damage, but this doesnt seem to appealing.

Pistol: pretty good. I actually liked this one. Too bad it's completely useless once you're out of the city.

Shotgun: I hate it's sound. Leaving that behind, fairly useful, but I hate the reload time.

SSG: Is pretty good, but I dislike it's rate of fire. Either it has to be faster, or have less monsters thrown in your face at the same time. Hell, firing this thing completely prevents you from sprinting when is "reloading".

Machinegun: Fast, accurate. But I hate the reload time. If it is to be that painful to reload, at least it should be stronger so it doesnt take half a clip to kill a fiend wannabe.

RocketLauncher: pretty good, until you realize that enemies seem to just shrug off the splash damage. Not counting how slow those things are in air. Once again, it seems to deal more damage to the player than to the enemies. Slow, and explodes in your face all the time thanks to leaping monsters, or kamikazes that are quite fast.

Plastic explosive : Already mentioned, weird trajectory that makes it to me, unpredictable. If I could control better there it will land, I could probably use this in an efficient way.

Hand cannon: Great to kill lots of monsters... as long as they are in either a closed space or nicely aligned in a row. Other than that, not really that useful to me.

Now, all this things are pretty... discouraging for me, but still I went ahead and thought "well fuck it, I want to play it". And I managed pretty well, until I reached the more "im in the egyptian ruins" section of the game. I dont mind having to kill a horde of monsters, even considering all the issues of the monsters mentioned above; it makes it less fun to me, but I thought "is just a matter of getting used to it". Well, that didnt happen. I found myself in a quicksave/quickload fest, because otherwise, i ended being raped constantly. So much for trying to use the checkpoints only. And even then, I though "ok, I do this with other games too, no big deal", except that the stuttering of the game detracts me from quicksaving. I've read that a lot of people have that stuttering issue with the game, while another lot of people dont, so let's blame my system/video card for that, though, stuff like hard reset ran incredibly well. Anyway. The thing that completely destroyed my will to keep playing this in the skill I was, is the endless and incredibly scattered-though-near-you monster re-spawning. I've seen that they keep on spawning, and spawning and spawning. Either the hordes are extremely long, or they just want to keep on repopulating the level. If the former, that's annoying. If the latter, that's fine, except that with so many sniping monsters and fast chasers, I have no time to do some exploration. Back in the urban levels, I was able to find secrets. Why? because I had time. No more monsters in this big ass area? Ok, time to start searching around. But now, in this parts of the maps, I cant do that, because as soon as I think I've killed all the monsters, I hear the music changing again, because out of nowhere, more monsters are coming, over and over and over.

And all this in the medium difficulty. Im either too unskilled or too picky, but this isnt fun anymore. I was able to play the first levels in a single sit-to-play-for-a-while session. Two days ago I got tired because of this points Im mentioning, so I left it there for a while. Tonight I picked up to continue. I advanced a couple "arenas" and dropped the game again, for the same reason I did 2 days ago.

I'll have to play an easier mode, because really, this is getting in my nerves. I appreciate the "frantic" style of gameplay, but for a frantic style, some frantic weapons would do better. Not this modernized weapons that have painfully long reloading sequences and really ineffective range.

Oh well. I do want to finish the game, but I really didnt expect it to frustrate me at the normal skill. Am I really that much of a bad FPS player? I doubt it. I just find the design of several monsters vs weapons really unfortunate, to say it in a nice way.

Well, that was my review of what I've played so far. I've given it 4 hours, and to be honest, I dont like where the game is going. Ignoring the "modern warfare" setting of the first levels, I liked them more than what I'm finding later. Funny, when I think that the reviewers thought otherwise.

"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Serious Sam 3   Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:52 am

@pic: LAWL TEH FACK IS THIS

DBT, if you're talking about the Kleers (the skeletal monsters), they've been like that since serious sam 1.

Unlike fiends though, you can punch them when they leap at you making them rather harmless.

Also, if you're playing on easy difficulty, there's no such thing as splash damage to you with your own weapons, funny enough.

The only part where I was raped the most was at the last level, just before the bend where you meet Ugh Zan. You fight about 20 of those "magidemons" (cyberdemons throwing fireballs and without cybernetic implants), and I thought it was pathetic to have to use a full two shots just to kill one of those fuckers.

My biggest complaint: Where the fuck is the sniper rifle!? Where the fuck is the laser gun!?

SERIOUSLY, CROTEAM!!! WHAT THE FUCK.

Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Serious Sam 3   Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:53 pm

So, I take it you have been playing in easy then. That's what I was saying, I'll have to go that way, because normal, as you see, was more frustrating than fun. Apparently Im not skilled enough to play in normal.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Serious Sam 3   Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:12 pm

Indeed. I just wanted to see and hear the story first before brute forcing it with the difficulty. That's how I usually go about it.

Oh, and those big spiders, I just spam melee button. It's far easier to deal with them, and the scorpions by drawing them into a corner room.

My biggest gripe is still the missing weapons though.

Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Serious Sam 3   Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:47 am

I dont think Im overestimating myself thinking I could deal with normal difficulty. Who knows, but I will restart in an easier one. Pride of being capable of beating it in hard, my ass. I'd rather just have fun Razz

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Serious Sam 3   Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:04 am

Damn straight! Razz

Back to top Go down
Gorgutz
Imp
Imp

PostSubject: Re: Serious Sam 3   Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:56 am

I agree with DBT regarding Diablo 3... it's a 100% clone of WoW that lost all the magic (and darkness) of its previous titles.

As for the topic I haven't played SS3, but after looking at some of its trailers it reminded me of duke nukem forever
Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Serious Sam 3   Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:42 pm

I kinda liked this more than DNF, because this one has big fights (which later becomes a problem to me), some nice bosses and well, because DNF was waaaaaaay too much into modern FPSs.

I still liked DNF, I just happened to enjoy a bit more SS3 (on easy, see my rant about difficulty a few posts above).

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Mr.Kosta
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

PostSubject: Re: Serious Sam 3   Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:40 pm

I've playing SS3 at one friend of mine's home, and it rocks allright.

By the way, Cooke: The Raptor and the Lasergun ARE in the game. They're just hidden in secret areas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Serious Sam 3   

Back to top Go down

Serious Sam 3
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
AEons of Death :: Non AEoD related :: Off Topic Talk-
Jump to: