Share | 

[Fixed] Mini-Cyberdemon's Behaviour

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WSRainer
Zombieman
Zombieman

PostSubject: [Fixed] Mini-Cyberdemon's Behaviour   Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:33 am

I had the urge to make this short video. It tells how Mini-Cyberdemon reacts very impossible (Shots fast without turning.. or barely, and not playing its animation. (Well, it actually does, but only when you don't hit him with a fast weapon.) And not to mention, it owns you at full health/armor with three of his rockets! Do... Do not tell me it was meant to be like this, I'll be crazy if so. Mini-Cyberdemon is way better than his big counterpart! Shocked

Edit: This video was done with the Ultra-Violence Skill

Last edited by WSRainer on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: [Fixed] Mini-Cyberdemon's Behaviour   Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:41 am

Perhaps if the projectiles or slowed, or if he's given a moment before firing that might help. I must agree, his ridiculous spraying of rockets when hurt does tend to get the better of myself too...

"Float... They aaaaaall float! And when you're down here with me, fat boy! YOU... float... too!" - Pennywise, the Dancing Clown
"In Offline Gaming We Trust" - DBT & MC
"That truck is fucked." - FPS Russia
Spetsnaz. When the only way to kill a terrorist is with a back-flipping Apache attack.
Back to top Go down
http://majorcooke.deviantart.com
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: [Fixed] Mini-Cyberdemon's Behaviour   Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:51 am

I see it. But I dont get it.

Apparently you just fell under a certain window of opportunity where the thing would attack right away. Why? Who knows. I have summoned, and tried to replicate this behavior, but no avail. Even under the newly created Nighmare skill, where monsters are as aggressive as they get, and yet this doesnt happen.

Here's the relevant code of the monster
Code:
    Spawn:
        CYB2 A 10 A_Look
        Loop
    See:
        CYB2 AABBCCDD 4 A_Chase
        Loop

As you see, there's nothing making it jump randomly to the attack sequence after it "sees" you. It uses the default attack rate that the zombiemen have.

EDIT: AHA! Found it!

Is not that part of the code. Is not that it gets so aggressive when it sees you. It gets that aggressive when you attack it! Technically is not a bug, because, for some reason, I added a chance, that 1/8th of the times, when you hit the thing, it will retaliate right away. So, is not a bug.

Why did I add such behavior? because is an archvile class. Archviles are really dangerous because of it's incredibly effective attack, and because they can resurrect monsters. This monster doesnt have either. It doesnt even have a hitscan attack. Is a projectile based attack, which means, is easier to avoid, and player doesnt have to fear about monsters getting resurrected. So, instead, this guy is dangerous in a different way, and that's being stupidly aggressive when hit.

What to do? Dont attack it with anything that hits several times. Shotgun: bad idea. Railgun: Good idea. Machinegun: Bad idea. Rocket Launcher: Good idea.

Still, Im adjusting it so it plays the whole attack animation, instead of just jumping to the projectile launch.

You'll have to forgive me for not hitting it right away. I cant remember everything I've made for over 6 years.

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
WSRainer
Zombieman
Zombieman

PostSubject: Re: [Fixed] Mini-Cyberdemon's Behaviour   Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:17 am

DBThanatos wrote:
I see it. But I dont get it.

Apparently you just fell under a certain window of opportunity where the thing would attack right away. Why? Who knows. I have summoned, and tried to replicate this behavior, but no avail. Even under the newly created Nighmare skill, where monsters are as aggressive as they get, and yet this doesnt happen.

Here's the relevant code of the monster
Code:
    Spawn:
        CYB2 A 10 A_Look
        Loop
    See:
        CYB2 AABBCCDD 4 A_Chase
        Loop

As you see, there's nothing making it jump randomly to the attack sequence after it "sees" you. It uses the default attack rate that the zombiemen have.

EDIT: AHA! Found it!

Is not that part of the code. Is not that it gets so aggressive when it sees you. It gets that aggressive when you attack it! Technically is not a bug, because, for some reason, I added a chance, that 1/8th of the times, when you hit the thing, it will retaliate right away. So, is not a bug.

Why did I add such behavior? because is an archvile class. Archviles are really dangerous because of it's incredibly effective attack, and because they can resurrect monsters. This monster doesnt have either. It doesnt even have a hitscan attack. Is a projectile based attack, which means, is easier to avoid, and player doesnt have to fear about monsters getting resurrected. So, instead, this guy is dangerous in a different way, and that's being stupidly aggressive when hit.

What to do? Dont attack it with anything that hits several times. Shotgun: bad idea. Railgun: Good idea. Machinegun: Bad idea. Rocket Launcher: Good idea.

Still, Im adjusting it so it plays the whole attack animation, instead of just jumping to the projectile launch.

You'll have to forgive me for not hitting it right away. I cant remember everything I've made for over 6 years.

So it works better with one shot weapons? ...Should had know, he reacted less when I hit it one at time. (Not shown on video, because I only tested fast weapons on it.) Something told me the fast reaction was intentional, yet I need to be sure. Shocked

And that's all fine, Though I thought Mini Cyberdemon was built from scratch at V6. Either case, sometimes unlikely things I find are hard to tell if is a bug or if it was intentional. (Like a friend of mine finding a SPAS Shotgun within Hexen mode thanks to the green orbs.) The fact that he attacked in a blink made me think it had fast reflexes. Being the case for the Archvile class, his power is fine to make it fit in... I guess. Razz Thank you for giving it at least a signal to have it play its animation though!

Last edited by WSRainer on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DBThanatos
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: [Fixed] Mini-Cyberdemon's Behaviour   Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:20 am

SPASS in hexen? That's odd. Actually, kinda impossible, since I just noticed a bug with it. The only replacement for the shotgunner in hexen is a monster that, when dies, doesnt call A_Fall to drop the items. That was just fixed. But even then, the orbs give me the serpentstaff all the time. scratch

DBT AKA "Jesus the pimp" - Major Cooke
"02:37 p.m. - DBThanatos runs around like a little girl"
"Because now, all you see in AEoD was either ripped, processed and/or coded by the AEoD team (or direct contributions FOR AEoD). It might be a ripfest, but is OUR ripfest." -DBT about AEoD v6
"Seven sixteenths of one inch: That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot." - maddox
"What I talk about is Doom, because in the end, Doom is all that counts." - Stephen King
"In offline gaming we trust" -DBT & MC

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
WSRainer
Zombieman
Zombieman

PostSubject: Re: [Fixed] Mini-Cyberdemon's Behaviour   Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:29 am

IKR? Suspect Shouldn't tell on this topic, but... I tried to produce the bug myself but I only seem to get the Serpent Staff instead, that's why I haven't started that thread yet. Sometimes it give me both, but that was on Classic mode so stll need to confirm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Fixed] Mini-Cyberdemon's Behaviour   

Back to top Go down

[Fixed] Mini-Cyberdemon's Behaviour
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1